1914-1923 Dodge speedometer

HBergh

Hi everyone: As I view the dashboards of the early Dodge models

(1914-1923) I see two different styles of speedometers. One is like a

clock face with a center mounted pointing needle. The other has a small opening

with the speed numbers printed on a cylindrical strip that moves as the speed changes. Can anyone tell me when or where these two types of speedometers were used? Did it depend on the car model or was one a non-standard model?

Thanks, Howard

Guest imported_RAH

Howard,

There were MANY different speedo's used from '14 to '28. You are correct,however, in your observation that the first designs were 'clock style', even given the various different types thereof. The rotary drum type North East speedometer was introduced in July of '23 at S/N 929894 with the 116"wb. I hope this helps.

Rodger "Dodger" Hartley

Hi:

The speedometer with the clock style were made by Mansfield until July 1923 the other were made by North East up to the 128 Model after that you will have to ask JB.

Guest imported_RAH

Howard,

Closer inspection of the 9th edition Master Parts book shows the N/E model E speedometer was introduced earlier than I previously stated. It shows car # 740182 (July '22). This would be what is referred to as the '23 style body. Confirmation of that in the North East Instruction manual shows the N/E model E type 3850 (MPH) and the N/E model E type 3855 (metric) was introduced in "Early '22". Note the early 3850's had a printed face plate whereas the later ('25?) had embossed face plates. Not sure what the 'Mansfield' refers to?

Rodger "Dodger" Hartley

Rodger: Thanks for the follow-up. I reviewed my copy of the 1914-1933 Dodge Master Parts List to see if I could understand how you derived your information. The only reference to car #740182 in my book dealt with the speedometer gear support (pg D21-22). Does the gear support point to a North East speedometer? Does this mean that cars between #740182-929894 used the rotary drum type of speedometer? Thanks again, Howard

Guest imported_RAH

Howard,

Yes, it would seem so. As I said, the 9th ed master parts book ('27), and the N/E service manual ('26) both confirm. I also have that '34 parts book, but remember much of the 'early stuff' is convienently omitted in later issues. That is why one must check several sources and cross reference for accurate info.

Rodger "Dodger" Hartley

• 17 years later...

Sounds like you have you answer ight there. Earlier were left hand (counterclockwise, as the person sitting in the dive seat views it) while later were clockwise. So if you try to use a later speedometer with a transmission drive gear meant for the earlier left=hand drive it will be a mismatch.

• Thanks 1

Absolutely right Mike, the early gearbox had the lever for gears and brake at the rear of the box, the later cars at the front. The early speedos were clock face (DB were Marked “LH”) and later drum. The drive at the gearbox also varied in length as development went on. Some stuff you can mix and match and some stuff you cannot. 
Jack, both the white and black face speedos come up on ebay from time to time, are not cheap and are not usually sold working. I have a black face spare for my 19 tourer and a white face spare for my 17 Roadster both left hand. 
Please be aware that not all are the same the DB was LH the ford was RH.

E3C4EDBB-4126-43FF-8689-AD6580BBB5B4.jpeg.6214fbac93b765368d5c72f5617f3419.jpeg

E2E28FDD-33C9-4465-8848-FECC1CC80212.jpeg.25fe677c315f33f3f07caa7bffc8ceee.jpeg

• 1 year later...

Jack, I am sorry but I am unfamiliar with the speedo part number 3851

Many owners have issues arise with the Dodge Brothers cars due to alterations made to the original design, sometimes changing parts thinking that the change will fix a problem however these changes then cause their own problems. 
Changes were made during the production years (gearbox layout and control positioning, foot pedals etc) and in order to incorporate / accommodate those changes, changes were made to the dashboard shape, scuttle height / width etc. As you have discovered, the room required to safely operate the controls of the later cars is not available in the earlier models.

My recommendation is to put it back to how the Dodge Brothers had it.

• Like 1

You can't just change the gear on the cover, you have to change the gear on the sliding gear shaft too. Left and right hand drive setups use different tooth counts pitches and go different directions. One angles to left the other to the right when you look at them. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, Willy said:

Are there exact years the white clock faced speedo belongs to? I have a white and a black. My car is 1918.

Look at the opening where it fits. If it has a round hole where it fits with a small hole to one side, it would use the type with the knob sticking out. If it is tear drop shaped it would use the type with the trip reset wheel.

You might start a new post with photos and more information on what speedometers you are asking about.

The later North East also came with black or white face dials but as posted above would not work with the drive gear in the early transmission. 

Sample of earlier Johns Manville white face;

Antique Dodge Automobile Johns-Manville Speedometer | eBay

Black face with knob;

https://www.proxibid.com/lotinformation/64990736/outstanding-antique-dodge-brothers-johnsmanville-speedometer

• Thanks 2