Time for a Krispy Kreme update

wldavis

O.K., you guys. It's time for an update.

For many years (since 1979, for sure, as that is

when I moved to this location), the closest K-K

store has been some 65 miles east of here. So,

I have never had the opportunity to taste "them"

when the "Hot" light was on. They have been trucked

over here to the supermarkets, etc., so I have been

able to enjoy K-K's. But, come Saturday morning,

all that will change.

Our new K-K store opens at 10:00AM on January 24, and

I plan to be there. I am assuming that the store will

be very crowded that day. Actually, Saturday is a

"by invitation only" (according to a card my wife

got at her work). "Official" opening day is Tuesday,

January 27.

So, I will be thinking about you guys Saturday morning

as I get my first taste of donuts when the "Hot" light

is on. Yum-yum!

-Bill

Just remember that you're ingesting just another doughy doughnut -- except KK uses powdered mashed potatoes in the mix. That's what gives the unique flavor...just like the old Spudnuts. And you might want to wash them down with Dr. Pepper -- which is prune juice and carbonated water.

<span style="font-weight: bold">-- ALF</span> smirk.gif

Why was this moved from the general forum? frown.gif It does not appear to be profane or disrespectful to anyone. Some of our moderators are getting awfully high handed lately. mad.gif This post will probably be deleted as profane and derogatory to forum moderators. Be warned that I will keep a copy of the text and it will reappear after every deletion.

KK doughnuts have been a source of discussion and amusement on this forum for at least three years, long before most of the current crop of moderators ascended unto the throne. What is wrong with KK posts being on the general forum where unregistered guests can enjoy the subject with we regulars? Who knows, they might even join AACA when they realize the Club members support "fine dining." smirk.gif

Oh yes, they are frequently served on AACA National Tours, smile.gif so they sure as heck are auto related.

hvs

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It does not appear to be profane or..... Some of our moderators are getting awfully high handed lately. </div></div>

smirk.gif

Well....., it <span style="font-style: italic">is</span> a doughnut, and it <span style="font-style: italic">does</span> have a hole.... But using your "<span style="font-style: italic">high</span> hands"??? confused-smiley-015.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

Well, that ought to do it. cheeky-smiley-031.gifsmirk.gif

Well it is smewhat a new fad here in Subs of Chicago.

You can go to K&K now and don't have wait compared to when they first open. Not sure what the big hype was over a hot greasy dognut.

Maybe, just maybe someday you guys in the USofA will get a chance to taste delicious doughnuts at a Tim Hortons restaurant. Now that the company was bought out by Wendy's and the chain is opening in the US the quality did drop a bit but still the best! No KK here yet but I've tried them and I still prefer Tims. smile.gif

I've had the Tim Hortons and they are comparable to a KK. Didn't know Wendy's had bought them, but I figure it'll be a long time before we see them here in the hinterlands of southside Virginia. We have yet to get a KK company shop, and the company HQ is less than 60 miles from here. BUT... KK delivers to Sheetz every day, straight from the main bakery in Winston-Salem.

Dunkin Donuts failed miserably here, but I think it was because they opened two new stores at the same time instead of feeling out the market first and then opening the second store.

Tom ~ Because it is a very tasty hot greasy doughnut. Personally I like them better a couple of hours after they are made when the glaze has hardened a bit and they don't squish in handling. Thank goodness, for in that state they turn into a very tasty cool greasy doughnut. grin.gifgrin.gif ~ hvs

>>Oh yes, they are frequently served on AACA National Tours, so they sure as heck are auto related. <<

I luv their retro 1950's chrome (dinner like) archeticture... a really cool looking little building. Add in the neon they use and it's almost like being in a time machine, not sure if they make the employees wear the old style dinner paper hats. The decades old KK building in Atlanta on PonceDeLeon Ave has some really cool pics on the walls of old cars and 1950's Atlanta, worth getting out of the car to go look at.

Ramble'n Randy

Guest Randy Berger

Packin31, I agree. I've had 'em hot and I've had 'em not and I'd prefer not to have them at all. They just aint that good. Now I'll duck and cover like I was taught.

YFAM, Randy Berger

We have a couple of Krispy Kreme here in Toronto 47 Packard, maybe you have to come down to TO for the next Barrie flea market, I thought you would be going to Robins up there, I'am normally at timmi's my self..

I want to show that Krispy Kreme considers itself auto-related and especially antique auto related. This photo was taken at the Venetian Hotel in Las Vegas. They have this lovely old panel truck parked near the elevators in the parking garage. John and I could not resist this photo op. Fran Shore

Guest rcirilli

Hi Guys, we've had our KK in Cranberry, PA for a couple of years now. All of the DD people said KK would fade in a year or soooo. Well there normally aren't long lines any more but I've never been in there when at least three or four people weren't in front of me. I'll take that kind of business any day. I really don't think they are going anywhere. Just three or four at a time....all day!

Guest imported_klb

Man, I practically lived at a KK shop for a few of my formative years (18 - 28) years! It was the only KK here in Mpls/St. Paul MN at the time, it wasn't like the KK shops in the east at the time, and it's long gone now. We did start getting the new "real" KK shps here a couple years ago. Of course the folks that hung out there on a regular basis talked about cars all the time, sorta like a live DF smile.gif

ken b.

No problem for me. I will be spending Monday night near the Denver airport and the road out to there goes right by KK. cool.gif Let's see, since I have to be at the airport at 4AM, I can pick up a box the night before and start on them at 3:30 AM when we get up. smile.gif Now I wonder if I will be able to get the rest of the box through security, or will they confiscate them to eat after we leave the area. frown.gif

I may have to pick up Dan's box on the way back home. Or maybe Dan would prefer a cinnamon roll from Johnson's Corner. confused.gif Which will it be, Danny Boy? grin.gifgrin.gif

hvs