Wagons

WillBilly53

Anybody got any ideas on a good Wagon? I'm pretty sure they're hard to find these days. I'm just curious as to what you all would suggest for my next project. i'd like something from the 50's maybe early 60's. is there an article out there on Buick Wagons?

thanks!

Guest 31tudor

Early to mid 60's wagons have been a huge craze for about the last 5 years. I bought my '62 Invicta because I didn't want a Chevy or a Ford. Nothing against the two marques, as I have a few of each, but I wanted something that nobody else had. I was looking for something Buick/Olds/Mercury when I found this sucker.

If you're interested, I have a few photos posted on this site. click here for photoalbum

Heck, I'll talk wagons with ya' I've always loved 'em.

Buick Estate Wagons are scarce.

the 59 - 60 wagons are nice big cars, but hard to find a nice one. There have been several 63-64 wagons opn E-Bay a couple months ago. I had a 63 Invicta Wagon with factory buckets, another low production car, but a great driver. Another great wagon is the 1970 a full size wagon and the last year body design, with the 455 motor what a cruised/hauler.

Try stationwagon.com. nothing but wagons any make model.

Guest 31tudor

You're several thousand miles away, but if you're interested I might consider selling my '62. Let me know.

Will,

Lots of choices. Check out Car Collector for a sweet 1950. It it were me I'd love to find a '57 Caballero ('58 is pretty nice too but the '57 is nicer looking in my opinion)and I've always liked the '68 ('69 too?) sport wagons with the windows in the roof. You can also check out Bill Stonebergs (he posts on this site a lot) fine website at 1950 Woodie to get a real good idea of what you would be getting into if you picked up one of Buick's woodies from the late 40's - 1953.

Good luck.

thanks 31tudor. that's a very fine ride as well, but i think i'll be looking for something a little earlier. plus all my cash is still plumetting into my '53 super.

palbuick - thanks a billion for that link to stationwagon.com that site is great.

those '50 woodies are so damn awesome. that's alot more to my liking. i can't wait to see Bill's in Flint!

those caballeros are awesome! totally sweet! i found a cool ad for one at http://www.ephemeranow.com/wagons/wagons005.htm

thanks for the replies all! i'll do some more surfin' (no pun intended)

Guest Shaffer

Good choice in selecting a classic to restore. All of the old wagons from the 1970s and older are neat cars. Some are quite rare. My favorite wagon of the 1970s is the 1971-1976 Chevrolet, Pontiac, Oldsmobile and Buick full-size wagons, with the disappearing "glide-away" tailgate. Over 1,000,000 were made between 71-76, but seems like very few remain today. I also like the 1966-1974 Ford Country Squires and most all of the wagons from the late 50s thru the early 60s. The early 50s wagons are very nice (but quite rare). I also like the mid-size General Motors wagons from 64-72. These are just some of my favorites. Some are rare, some are not-so-rare. In any case, any of the 1950s-1970s wagons cannot be found at any corner. Good luck.

• 1 month later...

Somebody above asked when wagons first appeared in the Buick line. I believe 1940 was the first year for the factory-built ones, although I have seen a custom-made '38 Buick woody (not factory built) at one of the national meets.

If you are going to buy and restore a Buick woody wagon, you had better have a lot of money, patience, and time to put into it (not necessarily in that order!).

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

pphillips922@earthlink.net

Guest sintid58

One reason wagons are so hard to find is that they were usually bought buy families and used quite hard through their life. Most often they were sold to another family and used up afterwards. No one thought much about preserving them. I would love to have a 65 sportwagon, but any nice older Buick wagon would be fun for traveling. A friend of mine who is into Mopar's bought a very nice Chrysler Town and Country and he was the hit of the Mopar nationals the 2 years he drove it there. He bought it as a tow car to take one of his other cars to the show and should have left it at home and just took the wagon. They painted it red white and blue like some Mopar racers cars and everyone went nuts for it. Two years ago the building it was stored in collapsed and the car was totalled.(no insurance)