Peacock vs Camaro

DLynskey

In celebration of Collector Car Day, each year the Coastal Carolina Region invites other car clubs to join them for a drive through Charleston, culminating with a picnic at one of the historic mansions along the river. This year a peacock at Magnolia Gardens took exception to the event, picking a fight with its own reflection in the paint of a beautiful Camaro.

Don

Edited by DLynskey
Name of Venu (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I dealt with that all spring with a territorial male bluebird. It would fight its reflection in my truck mirrors several times a day and then crap down the door. I covered the mirrors with plastic bags to deter it and then the hateful little sob went after the back glass. No matter where I parked the truck on the property that hateful bird sought it out and attacked it.

I have no trouble with any birds except the bluebirds. I don't do anything to attract them. I really despise them. Bluebird of happiness my patootie. And the hateful little bastiges are federally protected so you can't legally do anything to eliminate them.

My uncle Edd had a 1941 Ford coupe that he kept immaculate. My grandparents had chickens. Edd had spent the day washing and polishing the Ford and a bully rooster saw his reflection in the door and started a fight. The rooster's spurs cut the Ford's paint all the way to metal.

That rooster paid a high price for that indiscretion.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I've seen Peacocks in action fighting with themselves in the chrome on a Harley motorcycle once.  Positively the worst encounter with an animal ever seen though was in Scotland years ago.  One of our friends on a rally in parked his Wyman fabric bodied Speed-Six Bentley along a short fence at one of our over-night stops.  In the morning he discovered some goats in the next-door field had eaten some of the body off the car. Seems they were attracted to the glue under the fabric.  What a mess!

Terry

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, rocketraider said:

I dealt with that all spring with a territorial male bluebird. It would fight its reflection in my truck mirrors several times a day and then crap down the door. I covered the mirrors with plastic bags to deter it and then the hateful little sob went after the back glass. No matter where I parked the truck on the property that hateful bird sought it out and attacked it.

I have no trouble with any birds except the bluebirds. I don't do anything to attract them. I really despise them. Bluebird of happiness my patootie. And the hateful little bastiges are federally protected so you can't legally do anything to eliminate them.

My uncle Edd had a 1941 Ford coupe that he kept immaculate. My grandparents had chickens. Edd had spent the day washing and polishing the Ford and a bully rooster saw his reflection in the door and started a fight. The rooster's spurs cut the Ford's paint all the way to metal.

That rooster paid a high price for that indiscretion.

I’m sure it was during the spring mating season for bluebirds. Unfortunately, your truck was parked in his “territory” and he interpreted his reflection as another male rival. Can’t do anything about it. It’s instinctual for them. At least it doesn’t last all year. In addition to liking old cars, I feed the birds in my yard. They leave my 4 old cars alone

• Like 1

I too feed birds year-round. But the bluebird is the only one that attacks my vehicles and will not eat the food I put out.

They've been a problem here most of my life. Growing up, my Mama liked having them around and put up bluebird houses around the property to attract them.

It worked. Boy howdy did it work.

They'd attack their reflection in the back porch windows and crap down the side of the house- which I was then made to clean off. A couple years after I had left home I went by to check on the parents and the first thing out of Mama's mouth was the bird crap needed to be cleaned off the porch siding. I made it clear I wasn't the one who wanted the bluebirds around and I had cleaned my last bird crap off the house. Uh-huh.

She died in January, and by March of that year I was taking down all those bluebird houses. This has been the worst year for them since I moved back here in 2016.

Like a lot of pretty creatures they're just plumb hateful.

8 hours ago, rocketraider said:

Like a lot of pretty creatures they're just plumb hateful.

Hey, hey, hey.

There is no reason to bring ex-wives into this discussion.  :D

• Haha 3

I am of the opinion that a Blue Bird can jump out of the way of a 22 shot.

When I was building my shop several years ago there was a crow that gave me fits attacking one window.

I had to cover that window for a year or so. I probably should have given that crow the 22 test, but my luck I would have hit the window.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1