65 electra brakes

May have asked this before but has anyone converted to disc brakes.  I find all kinds of kits for a and x body but nothing for the electra.  Really think disc brakes would help stop the tank a little better. 

2 hours ago, dlcoop said:

Really think disc brakes would help stop the tank a little better. 

Hard for me to believe that aftermarket disc brakes could outperform the 12" drums (aluminum in front) on my Riviera - at least for the first five stops from 70 mph...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Properly set up drum brakes on these cars are GREAT.  You're burning $100 bills if you convert.  Yet people still do it because they can't work on drum brakes.  All it takes is a chassis manual and some time, if you're unfamiliar.  Plus, you have use if you have questions on how to do it🙂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

dicoop, ,agree with others here, tell you why ,i imported my 64 Electra convertible about 5 years ago, and customs Australia,

found aspestos in all the shoes, so they  stripped my brakes,  trashed the shoes never seen them, all other parts   placed in the trunk.

so i   re fitted all new shoes purchased from a company here in Australia,  all new shoes were no rivets ,  resleeved the front  cylinders in stainless,

adjusted  all up to factory specs,----and the brakes are superb ,stops  on a dime,---dont need disc brakes.

Go to post  war here --may1st 2021, about page 16.

Buick 5.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It is a though it might help .  I replaced the brake booster but still feels like I have standard brakes. Am going through the brakes now.  Shoes aren't bad but crystallized somewhat.  Getting the drums turned and new shoes.  I also need to reseal the rear end.  I have the gaskets but its been a long time since I messed with 3rd members. Just going to pull the axels and drop the drive line.  Should be able to remove it and put in a new gasket????  Any comments appreciated.

What you need to stop this vehicle well , which the governments of Australia and New Zealand will N O T allow or permit is *** N.O.S ***

ASBESTOS *** Brake Shoes......

Fortunately for you, I have two (2) Last sets of Front Brake Shoes ( 12 " x 2 1/4 " ) and three (3) Last sets of Rear Brake Shoes ( 12 " x 2 " ) !!!!

Always best to simply call me --- 516 - 485 - 193five...... Craig.....

Hi dicoop o did not realise you are in middle doing brakes now—-sometimes it’s better  to finish one job at a time , I realise it may help a bit  with brakes etc off but I can tell ; if not done correctly you end up with your car sitting there for months and problems can arise with   Both items items you are trying to get right.  Good luck

Edited by Wayne R
Ad words (see edit history)

54 minutes ago, Smartin said:

Check the new shoes to make sure they are arc’ed the same as the drum surfaces.  If they rock at all, they need to be ground down with a machine to match the inside arc of the drum.

And set the anchor pin as outlined in your shop manual.