Need to know about long trumpet for horn

Where was the picture taken? From just the visible shape on the radiator badge one possibility??

image.jpeg.10fdc1a00afadd314448ec9f77b6e638.jpeg

7 hours ago, Fordy said:

"Where was the picture taken?"

That photo and this second one of the same car were both taken at the former Nazi concentration camp at Babenhousen in 1946. "UNRRA" stood for United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administration, and "AJDC" was the American Joint Distribution Committee, both of which oversaw the feeding and care of thousands of refugees and displaced persons who were housed there after the war from 1946-1951.

Here are some more (easily identifiable) vehicles from the UNRRA/AJDC fleet also based at post-war Babenhousen.

1946 Babenhausen.webp

NY_11140_da1_c8cy0u.webp

Edited by dustycrusty (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Phillip Cole changed the title to Need to know about long trumpet for horn

I look at the era photos, know the context, and wondering about some of the people (especially the mother(?) and two children?), just boggles the mind! The horrors she may have known most people today cannot begin to understand!

Edited by wayne sheldon
I hate leaving typos! (see edit history)
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

I look at the era photos, know the context, and wondering about some of the people (especially the mother(?) and two children?), just boggles the mind! The horrors she may have known most people today cannot begin to understand!

Yes, her gaunt appearance and the fact that she not only survived, but gave birth to, and successfully kept two infants alive during a World War probably belies her and her children bearing witness to scenes and situations we cant understand or even imagine. The caption to this photograph, found in the JDC archives is:

"During the war, Babenhausen was a crude barracks used to hold prisoners. The first Jews arriving there, in late September 1946, still faced deplorable conditions. JDC representatives met them with supplementary food and clothing and immediately began efforts to obtain better lodgings for the winter, especially for families with small children. By the time this Polish mother and her children arrived, a substantial community with several schools had been established.

Germany, c. 1947." 

The section of the archive where  this picture and many more can be found is here:   https://archives.jdc.org/project/everything-possible/

The entire JDC historical collection is well worth your attention.

Your long trumpet is not likely from the OP photo car, or its manufacturer brothers (either Singer or Mercedes). It is a possibility that it could be from one of those or some other European car, just not really likely.

It more probably was from an American after-market horn from the late 1930s through the 1970s. Or even possibly from a larger tractor trailer or other large truck somewhere in that same era. Long trumpet horns, sometimes duel horns for dual tones were fairly common on large trucks for many years. They also became popular accessories often used on pickups and even common cars.

I suspect something similar might still be available new, although I haven't noticed such horns on big trucks recently.

Dusty C, you slipped in just as I was about to hit "Submit Reply"!

Thank you for the additional details and the link.

History is very important. If we as a society don't learn it, and learn from it, society will be doomed to again see that sort of horror on a large scale.

• Like 1

The horn is from a Trico Claireon horn set.  They came in pairs or threes and could be rigged and installed to be blown by vacuum or alternatively by pressure.  I believe the horn shown is the long one of a set.  Mounting was by several manners such as under the hood, on the top of fenders, on exterior hood sides or the cab roof of trucks.  They gave out a very convincing "get out of my way" blast which a company ad said could penetrate a half mile.  My '41 Ford Convertible had a vacuum set back in the day.
I have a restored vacuum set  consisting of two horns with mounting bracket, tank with controls, and column mounted control to blow them.  I would offer it for sale and also have enough individual pieces to make up several more sets, plus instructions from Trico dated 1954..  Please PM me if interested.  Dave 

Edited by Dave Henderson
add info (see edit history)
  • Like 1