1928 Ford Model A Special Coupe 49-A - $8,500

I don't post many Fords...there are so many they generally aren't interesting. I like this one because A's are such a great way into the hobby. Very active clubs, and (unlike T's) no one uses a trailer to get to events. 

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/d/mission-viejo-1928-ford-model-special/7763805926.html

1928 Ford Model A Special Coupe 49-A
Almost all original with the exception of door panels, seat cover and engine.
Model B engine

This is an early 1928 with red steering wheel. I bought this car a few months ago after deciding I wanted a Model A but it has turned into a bigger project than I thought.

It is currently registered and I have title in hand.
The car had been sitting from 1966-2024 only started and driven around the block a few times in that period.
It drives, steers and stops though steering is vague and stopping decent (much better since I adjusted brakes). It runs great and does not overheat.
My driving has consisted of 25mph in my neighborhood for 30-45 minutes at a time with a few 45mph runs on main streets. At that speed the play in the steering that is manageable at low speed is sketchy so the box will need rebuild.
The rear axle is noisy and will need some attention as well. I replaced spark plugs and leads and the coil.
I rebuilt the carburetor and replaced fuel shutoff valve. Tank is in good shape no rust seen.
I replaced the wiring harness including dash and generator. Replaced brake light switch.
I greased front and rear wheel bearings and the chassis. I changed oil/trans/rear axle fluid and flushed the cooling system.   I may do other projects as time goes by and the price will be more firm. I have a vintage turn signal setup and seat belts that may be installed in the coming weeks. I really love the patina and originality of this car and if it doesn't sell I am happy to keep it. That being said, I am open to offers within reason.

email:  537a9ac3c1ab34f6afb60571eae455ce@sale.craigslist.org

1928 Ford Model A Special Coupe 49-A 100Y0Y_2qJK2BSyhO_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00n0n_8jtcgJNnr4g_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00X0X_gDNHAiYReeL_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

If mechanically sound I would not mind putting around in it just the way it is, however I would have to put in a new interior.

But not “new” really in that it would have to blend in with the distressed look of the exterior.  Mexican blanket maybe, or some old furniture upholstery fabric or ??.  It couldn’t look new.  And of course the door speakers have to go as well.  It could be fun to try and make it usable but still rough around the edges.  An old leather thrift shop sofa just might be the answer!  Ok, I just saw it’s missing the roof insert too.  Chicken wire and rubber roofing material with a little black tar sealer would complete the look.

Edited by TerryB (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Has a Model B water pump. (3 bolts) and a B oil filler/breather. Would have to see the other side of the engine to positively identify it as a B engine. Would have a feature for a fuel pump and no oil return pipe. 

• Like 1

It does appear to be the "special" coupe, which is one of the more rare model As. I was hoping for better pictures of the body and top to see it more clearly. When I was in high school, I discovered a special coupe in a small town wrecking yard. I talked to some model A friends and thought about buying it, but the wrecking yard owner thought he had gold, and wanted way too much for it. I have only seen maybe a half dozen of them since. I have personally seen more 400As than special coupes.

I don't think the rarity really adds much to the car's value. And that top is not the simple insert of the standard coupe. It will cost several times to decently redo the special coupe's top than the standard coupe's top.

Although I couldn't live with the condition myself, I do like the car.