1921 Paige - need help getting this started

image.jpeg.1f19b98d4592d87cdb47a713067443f9.jpegHello  need help getting this beautiful Paige started. Recent purchase. Previous owner confirmed with video it ran recently but has passed on since. Any help is appreciated we are in the Michigan area. 313-938-5204

• Like 2

As Gary56 sates - what have you done so far? there are at least two very knowledgeable people on here who are close friends who both own Paige cars as well as other orphan makes and both fellows are excellent mechanics and drive their cars.

Perhaps give us some data - like engine number or anything on the pates that may be on the car that can clue us into exactly what series etc you own. I was able to send my two friends a photo copy of a Paige dealership/factory newsletter that had numerous pages in it a fellow historian had in his collection and was kind enough to send me a copy of. The more information you can supply the more motivated we may be to take the time to help you out..........................

• Like 2

I'm the owner of a 1922 Paige 6-66 "Larchmont II" sport touring like yours, and am happy to help.  The first thing I would caution you about is that if the car still has its original fiber ("pressed silk and resin") camshaft gear, that piece is VERY fragile and will strip its teeth if you use the starter while valves or pistons or water pump are stuck.  It will be essential to make sure the valves are free.  Oil the cylinders liberally through the spark plug holes and use a hand crank (or lever the teeth on the flywheel)--WITH THE PLUGS REMOVED.

The ENGINE number is on a brass plate affixed to the cast aluminum crankcase under the manifolds on the right side of the engine.  That number is stamped and should begin 8AP followed by six numbers.

The chassis/serial number may well be, as mine is, on a similar plate affixed to the seat frame under the removable right front seat cushion.  It will be six numbers.

Because you're new here, you cannot *initiate* Private Messages to other members until you have 14 posts UNLESS someone sends you one, which I'll do in a few minutes.

I'll also want to see photos of (1) carburetor and (2) on left side of engine, a closeup of the water pump shaft between the cast aluminum crankcase and the water pump itself.

Edited by Grimy
fix typo (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, John Tricomo said:

image.jpeg.1f19b98d4592d87cdb47a713067443f9.jpegHello  need help getting this beautiful Paige started. Recent purchase. Previous owner confirmed with video it ran recently but has passed on since. Any help is appreciated we are in the Michigan area. 313-938-5204

Where you at in Michigan?  I am on the west side of the state but know many on the east side of the state.  

I was wondering if that was another Larchmont (like Grimy's)? I have followed them on nickel club tours a few times. He knows his stuff.

I notice this car has steel disc wheels, which were an option for many years and models of Paige.  The wheels and tires look a bit undersize in the photo? Could they have been changed to later wheels at some time in the past? What size are the tires?

• Like 1

Hey John,

I live in Birmingham, Michigan and also have a 313 area code phone number.

I collect and restore nickel era Kissels and would be happy to stop by to give you help.

Please let me know.

Ron Hausmann P.E.

IMG_8855.jpeg

• Like 2

On 6/22/2024 at 5:42 PM, kfle said:

Where you at in Michigan?  I am on the west side of the state but know many on the east side of the state.  

Hi, my father and the car live in St. Clair, Mi.  

On 6/22/2024 at 9:06 AM, Walt G said:

As Gary56 sates - what have you done so far? there are at least two very knowledgeable people on here who are close friends who both own Paige cars as well as other orphan makes and both fellows are excellent mechanics and drive their cars.

Perhaps give us some data - like engine number or anything on the pates that may be on the car that can clue us into exactly what series etc you own. I was able to send my two friends a photo copy of a Paige dealership/factory newsletter that had numerous pages in it a fellow historian had in his collection and was kind enough to send me a copy of. The more information you can supply the more motivated we may be to take the time to help you out..........................

Below are 9 photos. He really hasn’t been able to do much getting it started.  Seems the normal ways of starting an old car aren’t working. Any help is appreciated.  He and the car live in Sr. Clair, Mi.  

image000000.jpeg

image000001.jpeg

image000002.jpeg

image000000.jpeg

image000001.jpeg

image000002.jpeg

image000000.jpeg

image000001.jpeg

image000002.jpeg

10 hours ago, ron hausmann said:

Hey John,

I collect and restore nickel era Kissels and would be happy to stop by to give you help.

Please let me know.

Ron Hausmann P.E.

IMG_8855.jpeg

Oh thanks so much. I’d gladly accept your help. Please call me and we’ll set up a day.

image000000.jpeg

image000001.jpeg

image000002.jpeg

image000000.jpeg

image000001.jpeg

image000002.jpeg

image000000.jpeg

image000001.jpeg

image000002.jpeg

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to 1921 Paige - need help getting this started
On 6/22/2024 at 10:09 AM, Grimy said:

I'm the owner of a 1922 Paige 6-66 "Larchmont II" sport touring like yours, and am happy to help.  The first thing I would caution you about is that if the car still has its original fiber ("pressed silk and resin") camshaft gear, that piece is VERY fragile and will strip its teeth if you use the starter while valves or pistons or water pump are stuck.  It will be essential to make sure the valves are free.  Oil the cylinders liberally through the spark plug holes and use a hand crank (or lever the teeth on the flywheel)--WITH THE PLUGS REMOVED.

The ENGINE number is on a brass plate affixed to the cast aluminum crankcase under the manifolds on the right side of the engine.  That number is stamped and should begin 8AP followed by six numbers.

The chassis/serial number may well be, as mine is, on a similar plate affixed to the seat frame under the removable right front seat cushion.  It will be six numbers.

Because you're new here, you cannot *initiate* Private Messages to other members until you have 14 posts UNLESS someone sends you one, which I'll do in a few minutes.

I'll also want to see photos of (1) carburetor and (2) on left side of engine, a closeup of the water pump shaft between the cast aluminum crankcase and the water pump itself.

Hello Grimy, Thank you for the great info. Please find 9 photos attached. I have passed your info and questions along to my dad. I’m waiting to hear back. Again thank you for responding. 

image000000.jpeg

image000001.jpeg

image000002.jpeg

image000000.jpeg

image000001.jpeg

image000002.jpeg

image000000.jpeg

image000001.jpeg

image000002.jpeg

@John Tricomo as I mentioned in the PM, I *think* your car once belonged to Dick Paige of East Stroudsburg PA up until about 2008 when it was listed on eBay.  The reason is that your spare tire leans forward to match the angle of the rear body tub--very professionally done, but Paige produced all of the 1921-22 with strictly vertical spares, and yours is the only one like that I've encountered over almost 24 years of Paige ownership.

Attached are photos of the chassis/serial tag under my RF passenger seat and the engine number tag.  The number you show (137562) may be a bit newer.

Look around this website https://www.wcroberts.org/

and see a page for individual years of Paige.

I can't make out the engine number on your photo of the plate on the right side of the crankcase.

As I mentioned before, preserving that fiber timing gear is critical.  If you have not already operated the starter, please don't until the engine is checked out further.

Thank you for the closeup photo of the shaft entering the water pump.  Unfortunately, that has not been modified from factory.  The shaft is captive in the water pump, and goes all the way forward to a timing gear (no chain) through the timing cover to the pulley.  Suggest you search for my comments within the past year on Paige autos of this vintage for full explanation.  It is almost impossible to get packing under that front gland nut.

If your distributor cap is perfectly round, the dist tag should read Atwater Kent Type RA.  Buy points for **RA** only.  As far as I've been able to tell, the RA was a mid-1922 change.  Previous versions had bulges on the cap.

Oil capacity is 8 qts.

The radiator must be VERY carefully handled.  To reproduce the vee-ed, herringbone pattern core would cost more than the car.  Use a stocking as a filter in the top radiator tank from the beginning.  Look for my posts on that.  If the radiator is ever boiled out, tell them not to exceed 4 psi of air pressure.

I don't have further time today but will be more available tomorrow and through the week.

20140124_134048.jpg

IMG_1871.jpg

• Like 3

On 6/23/2024 at 8:15 AM, ron hausmann said:

Hey John,

Please let me know.

Ron Hausmann P.E.

IMG_8855.jpegHello Ron, We’d appreciate it very much for you to help get this started.  Please call me 313-938-5204  thanks 

John, you'll be in the best possible hands with Ron, whom I know (unfortunately for me) only by his forum posts over the years, reflecting his exacting and meticulous approach to cars of this era.

• 1 month later...