1920 gas pedal return spring location?

I noticed my 1920 has some bailing wire and a spring on the rod acting as the throttle return... Looks pretty homemade! I can't find any pics of what the stock return spring hooks to in my books or online, can anyone fill me in? Thanks!

Edited by Lahti35 (see edit history)

Looking at some restored cars I found these setups:

Screenshot2024-06-18101323.png.2ce3ab9e549c6712386f7307d912a26c.png

Screenshot2024-06-18101931.png.6c0df6c96ce26538e0b801aacf1d58a6.png

The top one looks better than the bottom one wrapped around the fuel line rubbing the oil filler. Mine has a spring hooked to a bolt on the bell housing with wire running forward to the clamp on the rod near the carb...

2 hours ago, JayG said:

image.jpg.45f7b154c550a5ec60a05af41e9d4fb8.jpg This is the only return spring on my 25. 

Ah ha! Now we're getting there... I have the little piece of stamped metal bolted to the bellhousing. I'll look on the gas pedal rod above it to see if there is a hole for a spring. Thanks for posting the pic! The spring you have is the one I purchased from Myers. 

This 24/25 was very original and it had a tear drop tang bolted through the floor. It has a small bend in it and a small hole for the return spring. 

IMG_6535.png

IMG_6534.jpeg

I think I figured it out... This is what i've got:

IMG_20240618_164942685_HDR.jpg.a209fbbb07b6ef9a2d9eb5bcf1360ce3.jpg

After looking at JayG's photo I looked around real close thinking these two must connect...

IMG_20240618_164914085_HDR.jpg.84e46514ef9dff89fc9bd858169ccede.jpg

I scraped away some dirt in a small depression I found on the U shaped pedal stop and found a tiny hole that ran through it... Turns out it's a spring sized hole. I don't have the bent arm on the end of the pedal shaft like JayG does, maybe they had it here first before switch to a different style gas pedal. My spring is kinda mangled so we'll see how the new spring fits. The gas pedal now sits higher and has much more travel, it was almost on the floor as it was before.

IMG_20240618_165154098_HDR.jpg.fe7d91e3e7dc3c23ed33042242344df9.jpg

My 1920. I too just found that hole in the U shaped piece when I looked at the photos I just took!  Just now thinking about it, I wonder if there had been a cotter pin installed in that hole and the spring was hooked through its eye? Might make more sense than trying to hook the spring over the top into it. 

DSCF0278.JPG

DSCF0281.JPG

Edited by Mark Gregush (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark Gregush said:

My 1920. I too just found that hole in the U shaped piece when I looked at the photos I just took!  Just now thinking about it, I wonder if there had been a cotter pin installed in that hole and the spring was hooked through its eye? Might make more sense than trying to hook the spring over the top into it. 

Could be... Maybe the master parts book would show it. The repro springs have one longer hook on one end, it looks like yours does too so maybe it just hooks in the hole. I'd be curious to know! 

I did check the Master parts book to see before I posted, didn't see anything listed and the illustration was not clear. So maybe the one spring with the longer end is correct, shown in the one photo I posted, if it looks like the one you got. At some point I will see if hooking it through the hole I can get rid of the 2ed spring. 

Edited by Mark Gregush (see edit history)
  • Like 1

After you have installed the accelerator pedal linkage, which has to thread between other parts "just so", make doubly sure that you are getting full throttle opening. If your throttle doesn't open all the way, your DB won't climb hills very well at all.

One thing I learned as a mechanic was to never add a return spring that acted directly onto the throttle spindle.  When that happened, it wore the throttle shaft and the carb body. Mount the spring as close the the throttle peddle as possible like in some of the above pictures, [ Mark's, Matt's, JayG's etc ],  but also make sure it does not exert any side thrust on the carb.

• Like 2

After reading a couple of these posts I will add my .02

I come from stock car racing and more recently street rods.

Let's just say I have set up alot of cars.

When making throttle linkage, always start at the carburator.

Wire the carb wide open and adjust the pedal to the floor.

If you think about it the right foot is undoubtably stronger than the linkage or related carburator parts..

So, adjust linkage so when you have your foot to the floor you are not putting pressure on the carburator past wide open.

• Like 5