Need AC Condenser for 1965 Riviera

cjp69

I still am using R12 in my Riv and would like to keep it that way.  My condenser has a hole in it. Who makes a new one that is a direct bolt in fit and looks stock?  or does someone have a good working used one they would sell?

Thanks in advance, Chris

Edited by cjp69 (see edit history)

I have s 63 using R12. Update the whole AC system. Used a new AC condenser. It leaked. Came up with old condenser ( original) still in service. Before I buy any after market I check to see if I can original rebuilt. Dame happened with radiator. I spent high dollars on a US Radiator $550 awhile back. SOB leaked. Took my original radiator to a real radiator shop in Baltimore. Dragged if he did not recore the old radiator $550.00 cash money no tax. Radiator still holds good.

Get your condenser fixed and pressure tested forget the aftermarket s$(/.

Turninator

Edited by Turbinator (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cjp69 said:

I still am using R12 in my Riv and would like to keep it that way.  My condenser has a hole in it. Who makes a new one that is a direct bolt in fit and looks stock?  or does someone have a good working used one they would sell?

Thanks in advance, Chris

Send me a PM

Ed

Good Luck Chris. I ordered an aftermarket condenser when doing 66 and sent it back. It would have fit (sort of) and functioned but it did not look like the original. Of course the 65 condenser is a lot different so hopefully yours will be OK.

At the ROA tech session Winston McCullom mentioned there being a internal design difference between condenser designed for R12 and R134A. The 134A specifically having a design that makes them more efficient for 134A. 

After all this time I never heard or was aware of the condenser design being relative to R12 or 134A.

So have to wonder are these repop condensers internally designed like the OEM R12 or are they built for 134A  

1 hour ago, JZRIV said:

Good Luck Chris. I ordered an aftermarket condenser when doing 66 and sent it back. It would have fit (sort of) and functioned but it did not look like the original. Of course the 65 condenser is a lot different so hopefully yours will be OK.

At the ROA tech session Winston McCullom mentioned there being a internal design difference between condenser designed for R12 and R134A. The 134A specifically having a design that makes them more efficient for 134A. 

After all this time I never heard or was aware of the condenser design being relative to R12 or 134A.

So have to wonder are these repop condensers internally designed like the OEM R12 or are they built for 134A  

Yes, what Winston related is true re condensor design. I assume developmental steps were made toward a more efficient condensor design in the first couple of years after the intro of R134.

In my experience, I have a '96 Suburban equipped with R134 that has been acceptable in operation since new. But my '03 Escalade has always blown ice cubes since new and still does at 350 K miles of brutal service.  

The Suburban required many service repairs, mostly for corrosion related issues, but I've basically never touched the refrigerant system on the Escalade. A testament to " if it ain't broke, don't fix it".    

GM engineering was surely paying alot of attention to hvac systems during the period immediately after the intro of R134.

Tom

Edited by 1965rivgs (see edit history)

I don't think I mentioned this, put the tubes on a modern R134 condenser used on cars and trucks since about 1999 are so tiny that you can't even shove a needle into the holes of the tubes. they are literally microscopic. For this reason, when your R134 compressor goes bad, you have to change out the condenser, orifice tube, and flush out all the lines because the condenser tubes are so tiny they cannot be flushed out to remove trash from the compressor failure like on an R12 condenser.

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

My understanding is the old R-12 condensers were 'series' style; a single tube that snakes back-and-forth from top to bottom.  Flushing these condensers is pretty easy, since there's only one path from inlet to outlet.

R-134a condensers, however, are a 'parallel' style that consist of a stack of horizontal tubes that are joined at the ends in a pair of 'manifolds'.  Those condensers can't be cleaned reliably because there's no way to ensure the solvent makes its way through each of the parallel tubes.  In fact, the tubes with the most crap in them will more likely than not allow the solvent to flow through due to the sludge that is blocking them.