1955 Dodge Custom Royal with Original Engine, Trans, Paint and Spare Tire...

I just bought this car last month from a guy in Tennessee. He bought it two years ago from an elderly woman in southern Kentucky. Her husband passed away 15-20 years ago and she didn't know what to do with it so she just let it sit in the garage. The buyer wasn't much of a mechanic so he had it picked up on a rollback and taken to a mechanic in the Nashville area. He told the guy to make it road worthy so he replaced the entire brake system including master cylinder, rebuilt the carb, tuned it up, replaced the belts and hoses, and a few more things. The owner also bought a set of Coker radials and had the mechanic install them. He spent almost $4k on the repairs. He didn't drive it much so he decided to sell it and I picked it up for $8200. It runs and drives great. Everything worked on it except for the horn, speedometer and gas gauge. I already fixed the horn and my new speedometer cable will be here later this week. It came with some original paperwork including the purchase order from a dealer in Mayfield, KY. The steering wheel has about 20 cracks in it. I cleaned up the spare tire with Armor All and it looks good. I drive it several times a week and plan on keeping it for a while. Thanks for checking it out....

IMG_1930.jpeg

IMG_1939.jpeg

car 3.jpeg

car 2.jpeg

IMG_1937.jpeg

Edited by Dodge55Royal (see edit history)
  • Like 19

Very nice! 😃 I remember those Dodges well, my uncle had yellow hardtop & later a black and white sedan. They came with 4 different engines ( 6cyl or 3 different 270ci v8). can you post a picture of engine?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, LARRYCAROL said:

can you post a picture of engine?

Thanks to both of you for the kind words. My car is actually a top of the line Custom Royal so it came with the 185 hp 270 cu. in. Super Red Ram hemi V8. I haven't gotten around to painting the air cleaner and radiator yet but hope to do that soon. 1955 was the last year for Chrysler products to have the 6 volt system....

IMG_1942.jpeg

IMG_1943.jpeg

Edited by Dodge55Royal (see edit history)
  • Like 4

My parents had one of those in blue/white.  First car I drove up and down the driveway, way before I was allowed to actually drive.  

It was traded in on a 68 Dart with the 273 V8 and auto trans.   Great memories of both.  

Edited by Zimm63 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Congratulations on your new old car! Great , really nice. Hope you have many miles of driving . Thanks for sharing with all of us.

Walt

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The car is beautiful and quite a find, but I’m puzzled by the need of so many purchasers to tell everyone the price paid.  How does that have any relevance to the story?

1 hour ago, John_Mc said:

The car is beautiful and quite a find, but I’m puzzled by the need of so many purchasers to tell everyone the price paid.  How does that have any relevance to the story?

I see nothing wrong with talking price.!!  Lets others be aware of values on cars.  MHO.

Ben 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, John_Mc said:

A lot of guys like to know what people paid for some of the vehicles shown on this site. What difference does it make? Remember me? I'm the guy in Kentucky who bought the yellow '54 Lincoln from you a few years ago. You forgot to mention in the ad that the gas tank leaked and that the car was loaded with rust, among other things. I asked you what was wrong with it and you never mentioned the gas tank. I filled up the tank the day it got here and it leaked several gallons all over the garage floor. My wife was furious. Then I had to buy another gas tank and have it shipped here from Arizona and the total cost to replace it was over $800. You should be ashamed of yourself for being so dishonest. Just remember that karma is a b***h. No response is necessary....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dodge55Royal said:

A lot of guys like to know what people paid for some of the vehicles shown on this site. What difference does it make? Remember me? I'm the guy in Kentucky who bought the yellow '54 Lincoln from you a few years ago. You forgot to mention in the ad that the gas tank leaked and that the car was loaded with rust, among other things. I asked you what was wrong with it and you never mentioned the gas tank. I filled up the tank the day it got here and it leaked several gallons all over the garage floor. My wife was furious. Then I had to buy another gas tank and have it shipped here from Arizona and the total cost to replace it was over $800. You should be ashamed of yourself for being so dishonest. Just remember that karma is a b***h. No response is necessary....

HA!  So you are now my ethical barometer?  I’ve sold probably over a hundred cars over 40 years with only one disgruntled buyer so I’ll take those odds.  What was that, like 15 years ago?  Go find your big boy pants and move on.

47 minutes ago, LARRYCAROL said:

Would be nice to see the Dodge in hpof class at Hershey! That class is getting very popular last few years as is dpc.

I forgot to mention that's the original 70 year old paint on it. The original steering wheel has about 20 cracks in it too. Hershey is too far and too crowded for me but thanks for the suggestion....

On 6/13/2024 at 2:05 PM, keiser31 said:

Makes me miss my 63,000 original mile 1955 2 door hardtop....

Picture 26039.jpg

You look like you just finished off a bong full of some killer weed. LOL. And why can't you see anything through the windows? Those were the good old days....

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Dodge55Royal said:

You look like you just finished off a bong full of some killer weed. LOL. And why can't you see anything through the windows? Those were the good old days....

Probably true.

• Haha 2