My 1979 Buick Riviera

The newest addition to the fleet...

Now that I actually have it home, I figure I should post a photo or two. It is an interesting car with an unusual combination of options that the original owner special ordered. 

DSC_3173.JPG

DSC_3176.JPG

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

That's a beauty!  Mileage is crazy low -- where did you find the car?  Is the exterior Saffron Firemist?

Let's see the interior!  ;)

image.png.a565eabce025d125030f3ef791e14034.png

• Like 2

Yes, It is Saffron Firemist. I was searching online for a 1979-1985 Riviera  and found it on consignment on I95 Muscle's website. I made a deal on it last Saturday and was finally able to go back with a friend with a trailer yesterday to pick it up. I took it to a car show this morning. I have only owned it a little over 24 hours so I have not had time to take many photos but the dealer's sold inventory link has a bunch of photos although the original carpeted floor mats are covered by some ugly rubber ones. I will post some more photos in the near future. I also received my NC year of manufacture tag for it yesterday, so about all that I have done so far is removed the incorrect floor mats, installed the 1979 license plate, drove it to lunch and dinner yesterday, and to a local car show this morning. The next time I pull it out of the garage, it should hit 10,000 miles. 

https://i95muscle.com/1979-buick-riviera-coupe-hope-mills-nc-28348/7298819

• Like 1

Fantastic looking '79 Riviera.  I think the 3.8L V6 turbo was a rare option in 1979...great find!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dship said:

Fantastic looking '79 Riviera.  I think the 3.8L V6 turbo was a rare option in 1979...great find!

I have owned many 1979-1985 Rivieras over the years. I have never personally seen another with the 3.8L V6 turbo engine before. I have also owned some a couple of 1986 Rivieras (including one in 1986) and a couple of 1989 Rivieras in the past. Those two eras of Rivieras are very different but both interesting in their own way. I decided that I needed another 1979-1985 one and when I saw this one, I couldn't resist it. 

8 hours ago, MCHinson said:

I have owned many 1979-1985 Rivieras over the years. I have never personally seen another with the 3.8L V6 turbo engine before. I have also owned some a couple of 1986 Rivieras (including one in 1986) and a couple of 1989 Rivieras in the past. Those two eras of Rivieras are very different but both interesting in their own way. I decided that I needed another 1979-1985 one and when I saw this one, I couldn't resist it. 

I too have owned both 6th and 7th generation Rivieras... two '92's and one '85... both totally different but interesting none the less.  I've seen only one other V6 turbo in a '85 red firemist convertible at a local NH Buick car show a number of years ago. 

• Like 2

I also like the standard wheelcovers.  They have a clean, understated appearance that compliments the car.  That and the fact that they're are unusual, given 99% of the others are wearing wires...  ;)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, EmTee said:

I also like the standard wheelcovers.  They have a clean, understated appearance that compliments the car.  That and the fact that they're are unusual, given 99% of the others are wearing wires...  ;)

It is the first one I have owned with those wheelcovers too. Also it is, the first one I have owned with the sport steering wheel and the leather seating surfaces. Just about every option that this car has on it is different from every other similar vintage one that I have seen.

• Like 3

Hi Matthew,

that is one nice Buick. And super low mileage just waiting for you to put some real mileage on it!

Interesting that they ran it as rear wheel drive in those years, similar to our 3.8l V6 Holden Commodores. Yet in later years moved to the East West brigade, whereas ours still remained North South.

Gee, will be a toss up which to drive ….. 1938 or this!

Enjoy!

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rodneybeauchamp said:

Hi Matthew,

that is one nice Buick. And super low mileage just waiting for you to put some real mileage on it!

Interesting that they ran it as rear wheel drive in those years, similar to our 3.8l V6 Holden Commodores. Yet in later years moved to the East West brigade, whereas ours still remained North South.

Gee, will be a toss up which to drive ….. 1938 or this!

Enjoy!

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

Actually, while the Riviera was rear wheel drive up to 1978, 1979 was the first year of the front wheel drive in the Riviera. I bought this to have something with air conditioning to enjoy at old car events in a few of the hottest summer months. The 1937 Roadmaster Convertible Phaeton is more comfortable with the top down in cooler weather, and the air conditioning will be more fun in the summer heat.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1