Anyone used a power brake bleeder, specifically on a 56 Buick?

Hi all, curious whether anyone has used a power brake bleeder on a 56 Buick to bleed the brakes. Mine has a manual brake master cylinder but not sure whether that makes a difference. I am interested to hear of any concerns, risks, success stories or tips.

Thanks

Drew

Posted (edited)

I have a setup for pressure bleeding brakes that will work with any car as long as I have a spare master cylinder cap.

Here is my setup for my Chevy trucks.

IMG_0642.JPG.7277b11cb398b4209a74a519389ddd74.JPG

I drilled a 1/2" hole in a spare cap and pulled a standard tubeless valve stem through with pliers.

I have a length of quick coupler hose, one end locks to the stem and the other goes to a portable air tank.

I charge the tank to 20 PSIG to prevent over pressurizing the brake system. It works fine.

IMG_0643.JPG.c2d9693652b6f1653582e8c3f1369215.JPG

I made this early style cap to remote fill '40s GM cars. I haven't had to bleed any since I rigged my system but I would just connect a Schrader fitting to the pipe when the time comes. The vent hole has been soldered closed. I can see no problem using this method on your car.

001.JPG.51cfe76a0f93fa99917f073de0c2bcb5.JPG

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Never used a power brake bleeder, and i  never needed to, as i have used this for years now ,this small,

self bleeder tool , infact this is the second one i have had ,lost the first one in my travels, very easy to use 

, with a small jam jar, place in position  at each wheel, and bleed each wheel all by your self, and for memory only about

$20.00 here in Australia the last one i purchased.

It enables you to pump bleeding brakes with out air entering the system,

IMG_2741.JPG bleeder.JPG

IMG_2742.JPG bleeder.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Wayne R said:

Never used a power brake bleeder, and i  never needed to, as i have used this for years now ,this small,

self bleeder tool , infact this is the second one i have had ,lost the first one in my travels, very easy to use 

, with a small jam jar, place in position  at each wheel, and bleed each wheel all by your self, and for memory only about

$20.00 here in Australia the last one i purchased.

It enables you to pump bleeding brakes with out air entering the system,

IMG_2741.JPG bleeder.JPG

IMG_2742.JPG bleeder.JPG

Check valve?   

Ben

16 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

IMG_0642.JPG.7277b11cb398b4209a74a519389ddd74.JPG

I drilled a 1/2" hole in a spare cap and pulled a standard tubeless valve stem through with pliers.

Same - made it for bleeding boat trailer brakes that had similar master cylinder with a plastic screw cap and it works great on the car. Was less cumbersome than using vacuum pump at each wheel. Think I only put 10 psi in the tank.

• Like 1

Great info and thanks to all. Such a wealth of knowledge and experience here on the forum. I have used a check valve and vacuum bleeder before but I will give this a shot and see what difference it makes.

Thanks again

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Check valve?   

Ben

Thankyou Ben,--im getting a bit old and dottery now.

• Like 1