1947 Charging issue

I'm still working on the 1947 Lincoln Continental Cab.  I don't think the generator is charging.  The battery won't hold a charge and the gauge shows 0 when the car is running, but if I turn the headlights on it shows a discharge.  Is there an easy way to check the generator or the voltage regulator?  Thanks!

Has the generator been working and now it’s not?  The usual first step is to check the wiring connections to the generator and voltage regulator.  Make sure they are clean and tight.   The generator brushes might be bad (worn down or poor connections internally).  Gary 56 is suggesting to run the generator as a motor to see if internally everything is good which would then make the regulator the next suspect.  

18 hours ago, Samandhiscars said:

Is there an easy way to check the generator or the voltage regulator?  Thanks!

Your factory service manual will likely have all the necessary information for testing procedures and equipment required for them.

2 hours ago, TTR said:

Your factory service manual will likely have all the necessary information for testing procedures and equipment required for them.

Also, a Motors Manual that covers your year of car has the information too.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, TerryB said:

Also, a Motors Manual that covers your year of car has the information too.

Yes, I know that, but prefer to recommend factory manuals as they generally have much wider scope of more detailed information and all the specification data for the given vehicle.

And while I have enough Motors Manuals to cover every car in them from early thirties to mid seventies, whenever I need to work on a vehicle I don’t already have factory manuals and/or parts catalogs, I usually acquire all before I get started.

Buying/reading/using service manuals is one of the best investments a person can spend on any vintage car they buy/own/work on.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

I always had both for the vehicles I owned.  Sometimes the Motors manual had information or repair methods the shop manual did not include.  You can never have enough of either!

• Like 1

Have you flashed the voltage regulator?  Connect a jumper wire to the Field terminal on the voltage regulator and touch the ground terminal briefly, just enough to see a spark.  You are telling the generator which way to change.

2 hours ago, 61polara said:

Have you flashed the voltage regulator?  Connect a jumper wire to the Field terminal on the voltage regulator and touch the ground terminal briefly, just enough to see a spark.  You are telling the generator which way to change.

I take it this is how the 1947 Chrysler system is flashed to polarize the generator. I will add for future readers that this does not apply to Circuit A generators like on GM vehicles.

But the more I look at diagrams and pictures of 1947 Chrysler voltage regulators, what ground terminal on the voltage regulator?  I only see A (armature) F (field) and B for hot wire from ammeter.

Posted (edited)

If the car has been in storage and just brought out for the season I would pull back the generator brushes and let the snap back to the armature. Sometimes they get a little sticky and ride up on a high spot and stay there. A little nudge will get them following again.

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and insight.  I took the generator to a shop for a quick test and overhaul if needed.  I couldn't believe it's a one-bolt removal (not including the electrical wires) process.  Next up is a head gasket replacement.  I'm sure I'll be looking for tips on that as well.  Thanks, Sam