Motor replaced

Petevelasco

Can you tell us what you are working on?  What was the original engine?  The more information you provide the more accurate our answers will be.

You used the words “292”.  
Are you referring to a 292 Ford V8 put into a 1936 Buick??

• Thanks 1

Look, if you want people to help, it would be in your best interest to provide as much information as possible from the start.

It SOUNDS like you have swapped a late model Chevy 292 truck engine into a 1936 Buick. What trans? Is there an adapter? Was the prior engine the original Buick? What are you using for a clutch? The mind reading thing still isn't working and it's IMPOSSIBLE for anyone to know what non-stock things have been done to your car. Without that info, it is impossible to provide a useful answer.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

So again, HOW did you adapt the 292 to the original trans? Did you verify concentricity of the trans input shaft with the 292 crank? Is there any chance of binding that could prevent engaging third? And how did you adapt the original clutch to the 292 flywheel? What other pertinent info should we know about this? Heck, did the trans shift into third BEFORE the swap?

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)

If it only goes into second gear, it sounds more like a shift linkage problem then anything else.  It has the shifter on the steering column right?  Did you knock some of the rods off while changing the engine?  Check all of that and get us some pictures of the linkage.

5 minutes ago, Petevelasco said:

It floor shifter 

Did you have the shifter out of the transmission?  If so, you may not have got the forks back in the right spots.

• Like 1

Please describe in detail what you mean when it only goes in second gear.  ie.  It only moves in second, it only will shift into second, when it's running I can't get it in any other gear than second, it goes in all gears but it only moves in second, the shift handle is sloppy loose...

The more detailed you get the better we can pinpoint the problem.

Find another small Buick inline eight engine 248cu in(`49-`50 has inserts) put your original clutch/flywheel, bell housing, intake/exhaust, and front motor mount on the engine, and bolt it in to the original body mounts.

I don't want to kick anyone when they are down but I always wonder, in cases like these, why they don't go ask the bird that told them to put in the new engine. We get one of these every few weeks from someone who was told it would be easy to change their 6V car to 12V, swap in a different engine, power steering, etc etc why don't they go back to whoever put them up to it and get the answer right from the horse's mouth. I have a feeling I know why, and it's not the horse's mouth they are thinking of. But the other end of the horse.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, dalef62 said:

In my opinion slim to none.

I agree. How would that even work? There has to be something else going on.

2 hours ago, Petevelasco said:

what are the chances that motor transmission are to close then it’s not letting it shift?

I don't see how. That is something that needs to be carefully measured BEFORE you put anything together. Same goes for your clutch fork angle if you have any hope of it being driveable. Still, that's a separate issue from a transmission only working in one gear.

I see a Chevy bellhousing and a Buick transmission. What keeps the front transmission bearing from falling out?

Resized_Resized_20240223_184502_17087427

52 minutes ago, Petevelasco said:

Does anyone know of any machine shop in California that does babbitiing?

Try Egge Machine.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Petevelasco said:

Does anyone know of any machine shop in California that does babbitiing?

You could send your rods to Terrill Machine Inc. DeLeon, Tex. Ph 254 893 2610  Central time 8-5 M-F    They`ll machine them for inserts(which they also have). If your main bearings (which are also babbit)are good, and the crankshaft dosen`t need to be ground. Doing just the rods would be an easy fix.

Edited by pont35cpe (see edit history)