1940 Buick Convertible - $46,500

I'll be interested to hear the Buick crowd's comments... there is no picture of the interior! 

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/roseville-1940-buick-convertible-frame/7744695103.html

Full frame off restoration, Beautiful condition, 1500 miles since restored, Everything operates including the original radio, Turn-Key show car or driver, Located in Sacramento Call (916)214-8468

00b0b_9dOR61I0Gz5_05O07K_600x450.jpg00r0r_9pAGI1whyyK_05O07K_600x450.jpg00O0O_3kQ1TmrEZNZ_0fu0bC_600x450.jpg00a0a_1iCQo7oOO6x_0cU09G_600x450.jpg00i0i_9JomH2WAtg5_0fu0bC_600x450.jpg

• Like 2

Another guessing game presented by the seller! Make and year are correct but series?model? big price difference and engine between the Special, Century, Roadmaster and  Super. So what is is, guessing it is a Century?? The $46,500 question...................Define in detail "restored".

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I agree with Walt that the ad leaves a whole lot of questions.  We can tell from the body that it's either a Special or a Century.  I can't be sure from the one engine photo, but I suspect it's a Special.  It has a spark plug cover from a later series engine, and it appear to be missing the oil filter.  Also, the underside photo shows that the parking brake return spring is missing.  The price does not seem out-of-line at all if it has really had a "full frame off restoration," but if the seller is really interested in attracting more than local buyers, he's going to have to post a more thorough ad with more and better photos.

Edited by neil morse (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Will second those saying that more pictures and more details are sorely needed. I will give kudos that they took pictures of the undercarriage, as someone that almost got burnt on a sale because of a bad frame, this looks like it rolled right off the lot.

Not a Buick guy, but this car looks very nice to me. Very unaffordable due to money difference, but very nice all the same.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Walt G said:

Another guessing game presented by the seller! Make and year are correct but series?model? big price difference and engine between the Special, Century, Roadmaster and  Super. So what is is, guessing it is a Century?? The $46,500 question...................Define in detail "restored".

248 ci engine with 3 bolt carb so Special or Super.  The spark plug cover is the later post war squarish design

The air cleaner for a 320ci (4 bolt carb) is more of a horizontal cylinder

air cleaner 007s.jpg

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the clarification on the engine.  We can tell it's not a Super because of the running boards.  So that confirms it's a Special.

• Like 1

This is a special no doubt.  But if you are thinking about laying out 46,000 big ones this car must be inspected by a Buick aficionado.  The seller's asking top dollar for it so it better as close to perfect as possible.  Me, I don't buy fully restored cars like these because I would be too hesitant to drive them.  Also I get a lot of gratification knowing that I made the car markedly better then it was when I bought it! 

• Like 1

Skimpy photos.

If seller expects $46K for a Special,  It had better be restored in the true sense of the word, but previous posters have already spotted flaws.

Maybe high $30K’s if not too much is wrong?

Great colors, sharp car.

Well thanks so much to the readers here we now are aware of what model/series it is; isn't that the sellers "job" to inform any who are interested in it? Is anyone else besides me getting weary of the posts here that want you to give them $ when they won't make the effort to even explain what they are selling?

I am not being cranky just weary of all the people who want the $ but make no effort to provide information that people need to know.

I love Buicks about 20 feet away from where I am typing this sits my 1940 series 71c convertible sedan ( Roadmaster) that Doug Seybold went through mechanically when I bought it. Never opened the engine up since new has 53,000 miles on it. These are incredible road cars to drive and ride in .That 320 cu in OHV engine that had was just so fine.

The BCA is one of the very best single marque car clubs in existence  and local regions and chapters have some very fine , caring people in them This especially hold true for the Long Island Buick Club.

• Like 3