wanted 1927 cadillac motometer

In order to help people know what you need perhaps let us know the diameter of the throat /filler neck of the radiator??? This way a cap size will be known and then perhaps the size of the motor meter.

• Like 1

A proper thread count would also help. Radiator caps in those years used several common and a few uncommon sizes and thread counts. Are you wanting strictly a Cadillac factory cap? Or maybe some era correct after-market one? They were available in so very many styles from very plain to extremely fancy! I believe the Cadillac factory one was rather plain, however I do not know exactly what it looked like. They would have used one of the larger Motometers, and the Motometer should have the Cadillac emblem facing forward.

As a side-note, a lot of people today get it wrong! Hundreds of photos can be found on the internet with Motometers mounted backwards, or even assembled totally wrong. The thermometer is supposed to be facing back to be seen by the driver sitting behind the steering wheel!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, hidden_hunter said:

You probably have a better chance of buying a rad cap and motometer separately 

Yes. Cadillac Motometers are often seen on evilbay. Most are mounted on caps designed only to display so find the right radiator cap first.  The motometers were designed so any faceplate can be installed

You might consider buying a damaged one just to get the faceplate, then install it into a nice motormeter. Reproductions are still available too.

Terry

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

Yes. Cadillac Motometers are often seen on evilbay. Most are mounted on caps designed only to display so find the right radiator cap first.  The motometers were designed so any faceplate can be installed

You might consider buying a damaged one just to get the faceplate, then install it into a nice motormeter. Reproductions are still available too.

Terry

Most of them also seem to have the dealers name on them as well, I think I've only ever seen one or two generic cadillac ones

• Like 1

On 4/30/2024 at 10:31 PM, Walt G said:

In order to help people know what you need perhaps let us know the diameter of the throat /filler neck of the radiator??? This way a cap size will be known and then perhaps the size of the motor meter.

the throat size is 2 inches 

On 5/1/2024 at 1:17 AM, wayne sheldon said:

A proper thread count would also help. Radiator caps in those years used several common and a few uncommon sizes and thread counts. Are you wanting strictly a Cadillac factory cap? Or maybe some era correct after-market one? They were available in so very many styles from very plain to extremely fancy! I believe the Cadillac factory one was rather plain, however I do not know exactly what it looked like. They would have used one of the larger Motometers, and the Motometer should have the Cadillac emblem facing forward.

As a side-note, a lot of people today get it wrong! Hundreds of photos can be found on the internet with Motometers mounted backwards, or even assembled totally wrong. The thermometer is supposed to be facing back to be seen by the driver sitting behind the steering wheel!

thanks i will get someone to tell me the thread count

I think this will help as many people probably don’t recognize what you’re looking for. This is the 1926 cap which was a female thread but it is the same shape on top as the 1927 cap. If you want better pictures search eBay for a completed auction using the description “1926 Cadillac radiator cap” - it sold yesterday or a couple days ago. If you find a cap with this pattern on top and male threads I believe it’s the one you need. Good luck!

IMG_1271.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Sam, I have a moto-meter and cap that I removed from a 1927 Cadillac 5o years ago. It had been converted to a fire engine and was derelict on a farm. It has the Cadillac crest below the "window" in the meter and the red fluid in the thermometer is stuck at the top. Otherwise, the meter is in good shape but would need plating. The cap would also need plating and there is a piece broken out of the ridge around the base of the meter. I think that is part of the cap rather than the meter. Anyway, if you are still looking for one, I want $60 for it as is. I can provide pictures and/or I can bring it to Hershey if that would help. Let me know. Dave.