6 Volt Battery Groups for Other Than Model A Ford

leomara

I own a Model A Ford and it has a 6 Volt Group 1 battery. I'm currently working on a 1928 Chrysler Model 72 and since it is a larger car with a larger engine I was wondering if a Group 1 battery would work or should I look for something larger.  Is anything larger even available anymore?

https://www.batteryequivalents.com/bci-battery-group-size-chart.html#battery-groups-sizes-chart

I see the group 2 battery is slightly bigger.

This chart is great for finding common modern available sizes for older vehicles, like a replacement for a group 60 or 53.

My dad had a Ford tractor with an industrial 6 cylinder engine in it.  It always had starting problems with a group 1 battery.  After he passed, I restored the tractor and was determined to improve the starting.  I found that the group 2 batteries had little improvement in starting ability over the group 1.  The group 4 battery was quite a bit longer, but had a world of difference in starting ability, both in terms of cranking speed, and the amount of time it could crank the engine.

3 hours ago, RonDup said:

My dad had a Ford tractor with an industrial 6 cylinder engine in it.  It always had starting problems with a group 1 battery.  After he passed, I restored the tractor and was determined to improve the starting.  I found that the group 2 batteries had little improvement in starting ability over the group 1.  The group 4 battery was quite a bit longer, but had a world of difference in starting ability, both in terms of cranking speed, and the amount of time it could crank the engine.

I often find a smaller group-sized battery in customer's cars that are slow to start or having problems starting at all. The battery trays are made for a group 4 size battery but they put in a smaller 6 volt and then blame the problem on it being a 6 volt system. Plus, the smaller battery bounces around in the tray sometimes causing loose terminal connections. 

Instead of giving in to their wish of switching to 12 battery system I talk them into a group 4 battery and bingo, the starting problems are gone.

You'd think that being guys they would understand that size does matter. 😁

Paul

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PFitz said:

Plus, the smaller battery bounces around in the tray sometimes causing loose terminal connections. 

Not only loose external terminals, but INTERNAL connection too! And the debris that should stay on the bottom of the battery now gets shaken up into the plates. Always secure a lead acid battery.👍

• Like 1