Winfield SR B

Not too sure of what I have here other than a google search.  I have a lot of people trying to buy them from me.  Price is all over the place.  Can anyone tell me what I have and what they are worth? They came of a flathead (see pics) thanks

IMG_7568.jpeg

IMG_7569.jpeg

IMG_7570.jpeg

IMG_7571.jpeg

IMG_7572.jpeg

IMG_6029.jpeg

I have a friend who is a Windfield expert……they sure made a bunch of different units. Over the years I have observed that many people want them………but don’t want to step up to what most guys have them advertised for. 

• Like 1

I should probably stay out of this discussion, because "Hotrods" are not my "thing". However, as a longtime fan of the much earlier "speedster" era, I do appreciate the early "hotrods" for their place in automotive history.

That looks like a really nice early version hotrod, if so and as such, it should be worthy of serious preservation. Perhaps those carburetors should stay on the car?

The Winfield downdraft carburetors were among the first and best early downdraft carburetors, hitting the market in 1929. They were manufactured in a large variety of models for quite a few years and remained popular for years after they quit making them.

Value depends on many factors, model, condition, matched set? Motoringicons knows his stuff about these. So I suspect his evaluation is pretty right.

• Like 1

That's quite a bit more expensive than a pair of 97's. Are they that much better ? Quite a few Winfield's I have seen appear to be suffering from deteriorated castings. 

• Like 1

My Gallivan powered '15 T roadster has 2 Winfield SR big bore up drafts. There is very little room along side the T engine with the steering unit. Winfields were designed to change the direction of mounting I have 1 SR pointing with the air intake forward and the other pointing rearward. 

My Gallivan has been dynoed over 100 plus horse power. The Gallivan head has 2-1/2 inch intake and exhaust valves, and very hi dome pistons now rated at 8 to 1 compression. The original pistons were 12 to1. With counter balanced crank it runs smooth and quick. This engine/car combination was certified by the Washington State Patrol on an airport runway at 113 miles per hour, NOT BY ME!!

Once a Winfield is adjusted correctly, they perform very well. Once set up, leave them alone and enjoy the ride. I run a low pressure fuel pump about 3 pounds and with the ball shaped float you get positive shut off even using the electric fuel pump.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

• Like 2

No. You can't reverse the bowls. They are designed for up OR down draft, and are lettered accordingly.      They can be bolted on the throats up or down, but they won't work as they are intended if they are not correctly used.  Lots of people mount updraft bowl as a downdraft and they wonder why they aren't running well. When they are correct and adjusted well, they are amazing carburetors. When they are tuned correctly, you don't have to bother with them again. 

Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)
  • Like 2

If "air passageway"is intended to refer to the throttle body, it can indeed be used up, down or even side draft. It is the float bowl section that is dedicated up or down draft. Either up or down draft bowls can be used side draft with the right adapter.

• Like 1