Franklin touring for sale in Ohio

Last year I bought an estate collection of radiator emblems and hood ornaments from an antique dealer. While I was there, he took me next door to see a Franklin touring car (1911, if I remember correctly). It was also for sale. But the LAST thing I need right now is another project. Here are some photos. 

It looked fairly complete and pretty solid. I THINK his price was 10 or 15 grand...but it was several months ago, and I'm not positive. 

So, what do you all think about this one? 

Franklin 4 sale pic 1 Lo Rez.jpg

Franklin 4 sale pic 2 Lo Rez.jpg

Franklin 4 sale pic 3 Lo Rez.jpg

Franklin 4 sale pic 4 Lo Rez.jpg

Franklin 4 sale pic 5 Lo Rez.jpg

• Like 8

Lump, 

It is going to be a big BIG project, multiples of the 10,000. purchase buy in. But the good news is you wont have an expensive brass radiator to have made up. 

Seriously, at $10,000. or $15,000. the buy in is so low you have to buy it.  Someone on this board will pay more, if you decide to simply collect ALL the pieces and move it along. Do not miss this buy.  

Other, wiser members feel free to correct me

• Like 5

I'm in Ohio and if it is available for sale I would be interested. I like cars I don't have to chase across the country. Not knowing what the mechanics are like, I'd like to see the car first. Franklin's are not easy to rebuild and no one is making parts for these like you can find for other more common/popular  makes.  I'm not a flipper but, I  don't think there is any margin in the price.. you can contact me by PM if you like

3 hours ago, jdome said:

I'm in Ohio and if it is available for sale I would be interested. I like cars I don't have to chase across the country. Not knowing what the mechanics are like, I'd like to see the car first. Franklin's are not easy to rebuild and no one is making parts for these like you can find for other more common/popular  makes.  I'm not a flipper but, I  don't think there is any margin in the price.. you can contact me by PM if you like

PM sent 

I have again contacted the party who showed me the car last year. I've told him that I and others are interested. He and his family will discuss this, and see if they can settle on a firm price. I expect to meet with him on other issues in about 3-4 weeks. Hopefully I'll learn more at that time. 

Is it 4 or 6 cylinder? My guess is it is the smallest 4 cylinder available that year a model G, It seems reasonably complete and yes it is a roadster - look at the  photos again. Great cars once sorted correctly ( which can be stated about most all cars up into the 1970s) but with a transmission (?) brake or two wheel brakes  and if indeed is the smallest series it is a 40 mph car  that will perform best on flat roads not long hills. Take into consideration that if it needs tires you will encounter quite a bit of extra $ needed immediately

• Like 4

This is the small 4-cyl model G. Not as desirable as the 6 -D. This is a small 4, low hp low rpm. Good for about 35-40 mph but not many pre-teen cars do any better than 40.  Looks like it has an older 60s type restoration, repaint, upholstery, and do what was necessary to make it run. Some nicks a dings but looks solid and complete though.

• Like 2