Thoughts on a Stutz being auctioned.

1918 Stutz Series G Victoria Tourer Coachwork by Stutz

https://cars.bonhams.com/auction/29953/lot/318/1918-stutz-series-g-victoria-tourer-chassis-no-g3658-engine-no-3462/#photos

This Bonhams auction will be selling this Stutz.  I believe the 360 Cubic inch Four  is the same as the stutz bearcat (correct me if that is erroneous).  What thoughts do people have about this car, its Estimate (55K-75K). Bearcats from this year are pricey.  Is this interesting to those in the know, or not?

image.png.d3ebb5a3a880feb34f7bda875ddba3f9.png

image.png.6bdd388cc3583a2472b4723a4b8b750a.png

image.png.ff81e1c5923493d95acea93f346ffc15.png 

image.png.79434104df49efe602cd20fa5bb6cffd.png 

• Like 6

Nice car…..love the look. These cars have been “hot” on the market lately. Many have brought what I consider very high numbers. Wouldn’t surprise me that this car blows past the estimate by a mile. Have you driven one? They can be fairly heavy to the feel on the ones ai have driven. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, edinmass said:

Nice car…..love the look. These cars have been “hot” on the market lately. Many have brought what I consider very high numbers. Wouldn’t surprise me that this car blows past the estimate by a mile. Have you driven one? They can be fairly heavy to the feel on the ones ai have driven. 

20 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

A lot of "Bearcat" in the general appearance imo John.  Not sure on market but definately a great look.

Steve and Ed, I really like the look of this car too. I think it’s an attractive body, and has the same engine as the bearcat with estimates looking like it could be 10%-25% of a bearcat. As you said Ed,  perhaps it gets bid way above the estimate but if that number would hold true, in particular if it drops to the low end, this looks like a really cool car for somebody to have. I only know enough about Stutz to be dangerous, but I pay attention to all of the Indiana makes.

• Like 5

The car is great but I just noticed the 1919 RI license plate. This would have been at least the third form of plate RI had but they were always black and white up until some "artistic" politicians decided tourism would be enhanced if they adopted a more "upbeat " license plate back in the 70s. Notice the simple 4-digit number. All the early numbers are still in use and considered very desirable by people with more time and money than they can make good use of...or are "connected". We will never have YOM plates here, at least for early cars, because of that. I don't think they started putting letters on the plates until the 50s...at the time you could request your initials. My mom had hers for a long time but my father had to settle for his first and middle initial (JV) because all the "JP"s were already used.

• 2 weeks later...

This auction is closed and you can see the final price on most items but this lot still just shows the pre-auction estimates. I’m assuming that means it was a no sale.

Interesting car. I wonder what number the seller needed. 

Well…….I would guess it’s more than ten percent under low estimate. Apparently no interest in it at that venue. Crazy how one venue is hot, and another isn’t. It’s rare for ANY Stutz to sell below market numbers.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Well…….I would guess it’s more than ten percent under low estimate. Apparently no interest in it at that venue. Crazy how one venue is hot, and another isn’t. It’s rare for ANY Stutz to sell below market numbers.

Maybe the venue was it Ed.  It checks a lot of boxes for me.  If the pre auction estimate was thought to be reasonable by the seller, maybe no one bid above the high 40's, or maybe a deal was made offline after the auction.  There are some fairly pedestrian cars selling in that 30-50 range that have don't have the interest or history or lineage that this Stutz has (to me).  I guess that is another example of beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  I would love to play with this car.  

Posted (edited)

$75,000 does not sound crazy. Particularly with the A.K. Miller history.

The running board trunk is not to my liking , but easy to remove. Store it away as part of the cars history. The RW wire wheels are great !

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)