Found some old model paint

I do not remember it ever being that cheap,no price on the bottles in the bottom picture but do look older.  Testors in the bigger bottles and Pactra in the smaller bottles,I got the Pactra paint in the mid 70s and used some of it and it was old then.

IMG_20240406_161700041.jpg

IMG_20240406_194418378.jpg

IMG_20240406_194633212.jpg

The prices for model car paint, both the teeny bottles and the spray cans, are truly shocking. By the time you purchase and assemble the average car model you have about $50 invested.

2 hours ago, RansomEli said:

The prices for model car paint, both the teeny bottles and the spray cans, are truly shocking. By the time you purchase and assemble the average car model you have about $50 invested.

Kids now can not afford to build them,they were around 1.75 when I first started building and those bottles of paint were most likely around 25 cents.

I seem to remember 10 cents a bottle in the late 50s early 60s during my peak model building years.  But then the memory starts to go after all these years.

The little bottles are $2.69 at Hobby Lobby.  That’s one of the lowest prices around.  Been a long time since they were less than a dollar.

I have 427 built 1/25 scale models. Some go back to 1958, when i started this 'small' hobby.

I remember $.69 spray paint, now it's almost $9.00. The AMT models were priced at $1.29, now I see them

at over $40. The detail is better, but with the price of paint, the initial purchase, I don't build as many anymore.

IMG_0377.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If anybody is good at math?  For a shock and a sigh, calculate what a gallon of these paints would cost.

Did that back in the 70's and it was a joke then. 

It is sad. 

23 hours ago, Jim Skelly said:

it's 128 fluid ounces to a gallon, so $2.69 x 128 = $344.32 plus sales tax 

That’s close Jim, the Testors bottles are only 0.25oz so it’s 344.32 x 4 = $1377.28 a gallon plus tax.

15 hours ago, TerryB said:

That’s close Jim, the Testors bottles are only 0.25oz so it’s 344.32 x 4 = $1377.28 a gallon plus tax.

Oh, I thought they were one-ounce bottles, Terry.  I hadn't bought any since the 1960s.  That's kind of outrageous, but it costs money to package and ship that.

• Like 1