1965 Buick Electra 225 (Lights)

• Cowboyzzz changed the title to 1965 Buick Electra 225 (Lights)

I'd suspect an issue with the turn signal switch.  Maybe try shooting some WD-40 into the switch with the spray straw and carefully work the switch through all positions (Left-->Off-->Right) several cycles.  Try the lights again and see whether there's any improvement.

• Like 2

TS switch could be out of adjustment. 1965 was a transition year at GM. Some cars still used cable operated TS switches while others had the updated Delco or Boyne switches.

Do you have the 1965 senior Buick factory shop manual? It will show you where components are located and how to service them. 

These are the ones you need. Electra is Series 48000 and the body manual covers all carlines. You can find them on ebay and other sites. Try to find original print copies; reprints, pdf and CD-rom copies will do in a pinch but are known to lose critical detail.

DSCN5366.JPG.5bf2b1cf3812cc371c7008ac7ac2c688.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

There could also be remains of some previous inhabitants (spiders, etc.) fouling-up the works.  You may wind-up removing the steering wheel if the switch contacts are behind the steering wheel at the top of the column.

• Thanks 1

Here is my home made ground tester.

The big clip goes on the negative post of the battery. There is about 35 feet of wire to get the alligator clip on the ground side of any component on the car. It is the quickest check you can do to find a bad ground.

1960s GM tail light grounds are nothing the GM engineers went home and bragged about working on at the dinner table. I prefer soldering a ground wire and running it right to the frame rail.

Make one of these test jumpers. You will be glad you did.

001.JPG.25eb3663cec625a8c408f10198c65b00.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, rocketraider said:

TS switch could be out of adjustment. 1965 was a transition year at GM. Some cars still used cable operated TS switches while others had the updated Delco or Boyne switches.

Do you have the 1965 senior Buick factory shop manual? It will show you where components are located and how to service them. 

These are the ones you need. Electra is Series 48000 and the body manual covers all carlines. You can find them on ebay and other sites. Try to find original print copies; reprints, pdf and CD-rom copies will do in a pinch but are known to lose critical detail.

Thank you very much!!Much appreciated!

5 hours ago, EmTee said:

There could also be remains of some previous inhabitants (spiders, etc.) fouling-up the works. 

As well as remnants of some previous owner's attempt at repair.😬

Previous Owner's Stamp y'all! The bane of old car people everywhere!

I used to think Buick, Olds and Cadillac were sorta immune to it, but in the last few years I've realized the knuckleheads sometimes get to them too.

• Like 3

I recommend that you do not over look the coincidence of blown light bulbs. Those front signal light housing screws can be a bit of trouble to get out so be careful with a proper sized screwdriver tip. I don't recall if the taillight bulbs are easily accessible in the trunk or not.

• Like 1