WTB 1940 buick 40 series , clutch and transmission replacement/overhaul parts

Ercell

Where would I find parts for my 40 Special 3 speed transmission.  Scratches going into 3rd gear?  Plus I need to replace a rough clutch, looks to be about 10" in diameter.  While I'm at it I'll need a throw out bearing.  

I also noticed while under the car that the clutch pivot mechanism looks a little weak, actually worn out.  I don't know what it's called.  Maybe I can rebuild it, I'll have to remove it to find out, it's spring loaded.  Maybe someone knows more than me.  More likely most of you.  It's in the background of the attached picture.  Any help or advice would certainly be a help.

20240316_145827.jpg

• Like 1

On ebay from time to time. And NW transmission parts for synchro's.

Transmissions 1940 to 1950 have many common parts.  The synchro~drum may be gone.

On pg 65-A items a, b, c & e wear out.

Also check the engine & torque tube rubber mounts. (rough clutch & into 3rd)

Link --> https://forums.aaca.org/topic/254772-39-buick-clutch-removal/  Use a clutch pack for a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee 6 Cyl.

1928-52 Master Parts Book pg 107-A.jpg

1928-52 Master Parts Book pg 69-A.jpg

1928-52 Master Parts Book pg 69_A.jpg

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I bought a ‘40-46c about 40 years ago and got a new clutch from about a 54 Jeep.  I don't remember if it had an oil slinger or not.  I got a throw out bearing back then over the counter at probably a NAPA store.  That was then.  Now, I would check with someone like Bob’s , CARS etc or the Buick Barn, Kanters, or Fusick. There are other vendors that could probably tell you exactly what you need.

It's 1994 Jeep Gran Cherokee 6cyl stk. Approx $125.00@ OReilys press plate & clutch disc match perfect. The original had a wavy spring steel insert about 99%cracked, if yer lucky, cuz then U don't waste time with poor engineering that no one has! At the price it's tough to find a rebuilder competing with Peking parts! They also had throughout bearing for 21 bucks working fine iny '39 Spec.

Hi, Ersell. i have a new-old-stock 2nd to 3rd sliding gear for your transmission. An important part for smooth shifting. It is part "BD" in the transmission parts breakdown that 1939_Buick posted above. I just sent you a private message here on the forum, with a photo and pricing. Just click on the little envelope in the top right corner of this page. Thanks. John

When I did the clutch on my '40 Special Model 41, Bob's Automobilia had the replacement clutch and pressure plate but he suggested I get the "new style" pressure plate he was selling, and the plate that went with it. He said it was much better. I used that one and it worked great.

Edited by Morgan Wright (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 3/18/2024 at 2:54 PM, Bloo said:

Was that also a 94 Cherokee part? If not, what was it?

The throughout bearing I got from OReilys was sourced by using the original bearing number & cross referencing it to the current number.

• Like 1