For Sale: 1925 Federal (Knight) Truck - Project - $9,995 - Brownsville, WI - Not Mine - Still Available, Major Price Reduction to $7,800 4-26-2024.

For Sale: 1925 Federal (Knight) Truck - Project - $9,995 - Brownsville, WI - Still Available, Major Price Reduction to $7,800 4-26-2024. See New Link Below:

1925 Federal Truck for sale by owner - Brownsville, WI - craigslist
Seller's Description:

1925 Federal Truck: Possibly a Federal-Knight Truck
The state of the engine and truck is as is, since the person who owned and worked on the truck has passed away.  Rebuilt in 2001. I have listed the title as "clean", but this is a rebuilt antique, so there may be a different classification. The title has no liens and is immediately available for sale. More details will be posted when the paperwork is put together.
Currently not running but was running about 3 years ago. Garaged/barned for the last decade or so. It seems to be complete, and any spare parts found will be included. The advertising included with the documents claims it has a Willys-Knight motor. More info will be posted soon, and some better pictures are forthcoming.
If you have any questions, please ask.
Copy and paste in your email: 4c63f8dbdf5d3a6aa81be7a0e2a7061d@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1925 Federal (Knight) Truck - Project.

'25 Federal Truck WI a.jpg

'25 Federal Truck WI b.jpg

'25 Federal Truck WI c.jpg

'25 Federal Truck WI d.jpg

'25 Federal Truck WI e.jpg

'25 Federal Truck WI f.jpg

'25 Federal Truck WI g.jpg

'25 Federal Truck WI h.jpg

'25 Federal Truck WI i.jpg

'25 Federal Truck WI j.jpg

'25 Federal Truck WI k.jpg

Edited by 58L-Y8
Still Available, Major Price Reduction to $7,800 4-26-2024. Crossed out the dead CL link. (see edit history)
  • Like 6

• 58L-Y8 changed the title to For Sale: 1925 Federal (Knight) Truck - Project - $9,995 - Brownsville, WI - Not Mine - Still Available, Major Price Reduction to $7,800 4-26-2024.

Still Available, Major Price Reduction to $7,800 4-26-2024.

1925 Federal Truck for sale by owner - Brownsville, WI - craigslist
Seller's Description:

1925 Federal Knight Truck. Very nice condition! This truck looks like it can be run after a tune-up.

This is a statement found in the paperwork:
“Purchased August 1998. At this point, I didn’t know if I could get it running.”
But by August 2001--5 years of cleaning and repair later--he wrote, “Cleaned up and running quite well. (At 9 M.P.G.)
“Removed and stored the Remy Distributor. Mounted a VW Beetle Distributor off the crankshaft, through a 2:1 right angle gear box. (Automatic spark control.)”

From that point on this truck was used as a work truck and kept painted to look good, too. It was parked for the last few years due to ill health of the person who restored it. He died two years ago, and it has not been moved since.
The truck appears to be prepped for long-term storage, with the spark plugs removed and the engine covered with a tarp. It is being sold as is since no one here is good at working on this old vehicle, and no one here can make a proper assessment of its running condition.
Tires look to be in good shape. Frame, bed, cab, and hood all look and feel solid. Any spare parts found will be included. Usually garaged after a day's work, and currently stored in a dry garage.  Rebuilt in 2001. The title is being listed "clean", but this is a rebuilt antique, so there may be a different classification. Either way, there are no liens, and it is available for immediately sale.
If you have any questions, please ask! I will do my best to track down the answers.
Copy and paste in your email: caf1c72e8c3c3bee9b6776abf3360e02@sale.craigslist.org

That sleeve valve engine is a fascinating piece, too bad it looks so ordinary on the outside! 

I never understand why people don't spend a couple of hundred dollars and get a vehicle like this at least "yard driving". It would make a huge difference in selling it! 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Leif in Calif said:

That sleeve valve engine is a fascinating piece, too bad it looks so ordinary on the outside! 

I never understand why people don't spend a couple of hundred dollars and get a vehicle like this at least "yard driving". It would make a huge difference in selling it! 

In the case of Knights, that can be very risky. If it has in fact only been a few (very few!) years since it was in good running condition and driven regularly? The odds are pretty good that it could be running and driven in a weekend. But just where is that magic danger time? Poppet valve engines can often sit for decades and fire up with little risk. Okay, so a valve or two get stuck open, and you have to pull the head to free it up. No serious damage done however.

Sleeve valve engines can become stuck for a variety of reasons or conditions in only a couple years time. And once the sleeves become gummy or slow moving, one must be very careful about getting everything loosened up, oiled and moving freely before attempting to start the engine. The sleeves are cast iron, and raised and lowered by a long miniature crankshaft and small connecting rods. If the oil has been contaminated, or moisture gotten inside, the sleeves can become gummy and may move slowly, enough so to make one think the engine can be run. However, if started before it is ready, the sleeves may not move fast enough to actually run, and can result in breaking one or more sleeves where the little connecting rods are attached. 

I have not done much work on them myself, however a longtime very good friend has rebuilt a couple of them, and I have seen the inside up close. They are not hard to work on. Just different, and different enough that one should join WOKR and connect with people experienced in them before getting into too much trouble.

I would be concerned about the spark plugs having been removed. Was oil put inside? Might be okay, if the oil didn't drain away and then dry out? If water got inside? Oil or no oil could be very serious!

• Like 2

"I would be concerned about the spark plugs having been removed. Was oil put inside? Might be okay, if the oil didn't drain away and then dry out? If water got inside? Oil or no oil could be very serious!" From Wayne above.

Thanks Wayne. Why wouldn't owner ask themselves this question?

Yet another mention of spark plugs removed, and then engine/ vehicle stored. Beats me?

What makes this truck cool is the Knight engine.  What makes this truck terrifying is the Knight engine.

I disagree that they look ordinary.   The center mounted plugs give it a "hemi" look.

IMG_6813.JPG

• Like 3