Yes, still good stuff out there - neat old sign

This wonderful primitive "Gasoline" sign was recovered from the rafters in an old building not far from my home.  A friend found it and thought I'd be interested.  It's pained on both sides and the faint remains of a hand pointing the way can be seen on the end. It'll look fantastic hanging from the beam in the center of my barn.  Not sure how to put a date on something like this but I think it's pretty early.  It was probably done for a country store that had a gas pump out front, long before branded gasoline became more common. 

Finding something like this makes ya want to keep hunting.

Terry

Gasoline sign hand painted.jpg

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)
  • Like 5

That's a neat old sign, Terry. 

I have to add to your thread this "auto repair" sign I found at a local junk shop. I recall having seen it (or one just like it) nailed on an old garage/auto shop years and years ago. The building was removed to make room for a modern truck stop in the '80's.

The letters are hand made out of 1/2 inch wood and screwed to the back board.and required some "restoration" before I repainted it. It's about 7 feet long and may date to the '40's. It fits nicely over my work bench.

autorepair1.jpg.5a11666e9ff536e7add730e23f442733.jpg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, TerryB said:

The stuff is indeed out there and the thrill of finding it never gets old!

I couldn't agree more.  Just found these two pieces today.  The Gulf piece is actually a folding ruler that I guess is really a folding yard stick.   The GM piece I believe is porcelain.  

image.jpeg.ca3d6bfee4c2d8d72141f16fb325a9e1.jpeg

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Another one recently acquired. There are reproductions on this one but they are done on aluminum and are small and square. This one is an original.

20240413_160925.jpg

• Like 4

Here is another neat piece of advertising. This is printed on heavy card and framed under glass. Sorry about the reflections but you can see the great coloring. 

Terry 

20240415_164234.jpg

• Like 4

I think the Star Car item is an example of a Trolley Poster. Like the public buses of today they have a line of advertising along the roof, these are the 1920’s version of that advertising (okay the last public bus I was on was around 1980, but probably still a thing). This Ford one came out of a junk shop and I framed it, like Terry’s it’s printed on heavy card stock. The weekly purchase plan started in 1923 so it can be dated around that time.

IMG_1921.jpeg

Thanks - I\'m sure that's exactly what it is.  I remember similar signs being used in passenger busses also.  I've got a similar Ford Weekly Purchase sign also and will try to get a photo of it later.

Terry

• Like 1