1972 Buick Riviera (HI everyone We have a 72 riviera which needs a drivers side door)

kckt

HI everyone We have a 72 riviera which needs a drivers side door , Found one close to our house except its on a 73 anyone no if doors are interchangeable from a 73 to a 72 any advice is appreciated Thanks in advance we are in NW Illinois

I just did a quick search and it seems that the 71-73 rivieras are very similar in body. I found the only difference in sheet metal between a 71 and 72 is the trunk lid. Did not find anything between the 72 and 73. Knowing a little about gm cars of the 70's (no idea on buicks though) I would hedge a bet they are the same. May be different interior panels but the rest is most likely the same. Hopefully someone with real knowledge will chime in.

• Like 1

I appreciate the help I may get a hold of the guy with the one by me if the price is right I will buy it and take a chance we swapped out a trunk lid from a 71 with the vents only reason was the one on the 72 was rusted fixable but we found one in lasalle il. from a 71 that was actually in good condition however the rest of the body was shot lol, only had to grind a little wiggle room around the bolt holes  on it and it fit perfect! Thank-You rocketraider &TAKerry for your help! I will check on the forums site also see what we can find out Be safe out there!!

• Like 1

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to 1972 Buick Riviera (HI everyone We have a 72 riviera which needs a drivers side door)

I think it might depend on when the '73 was built. Before or after 1-1-1973. But I'm not a Buick expert by any means.

So I would verify with the Buick folks as mentioned earlier. 

Just my two cents.

• Like 1

Yes, from what I found the difference in the trunk lids are the vents!  I know a good trans am complete door will set you back about 300-400. I wouldnt be too tight fisted if you can find a decent door. They might not be that easy to locate, especially if you can find one local. Good Luck.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2024 at 4:48 PM, kckt said:

HI everyone We have a 72 riviera which needs a drivers side door , Found one close to our house except its on a 73 anyone no if doors are interchangeable from a 73 to a 72 any advice is appreciated Thanks in advance we are in NW Illinois

The doors are the same 71-73.   Fenders & trunk lids are different in 73.

Robert Bonto

• Like 3

Try contacting Rich Babula, he is outside of Chicago, and sells 71-73 Riviera and also 70-72 A body Buick parts.  rmbula@yahoo.com or 847-366-7559.  Tell him Chris from WA state sent you. 

• Like 2

Thanks for all the help,  cjp69 I called Rich but he already sold the doors  however he has some interior pieces I think we may be able to deal on also if anyone is in need of front and rear bumper for a boatail hes got a set that looks to be in great condition! RivNut if your talking about the one in loves park Il. thats pictured that was the one we were going after but he got back to me and said NOT FOR SALE ????? whatever!!! at least when we come across some more I wont be wondering if they fit  Thanks guys!!!!!

• Like 1

Looks like you've found your people.😎

Also look into the ROA, Riviera Owners Association. There's a link on the Riviera subforum page. Nothing like having a like-minded support group when you're trying to keep an old car going.