1955 FORD THUNDERBIRD - $22,000

Seems like a very solid car. More pics and much more info in the ad.

(Needs a stock steering wheel!)

https://chico.craigslist.org/cto/d/orland-1955-ford-thunderbird/7720982200.html

47 years owned by same family  (530) 966-8166

This car has very few options. The only options are a body-colored hardtop, an engine dress up kit, power seat, factory undercoating and automatic transmission (3.30 to 1 axle ratio). Radio and heater were standard. Because of the factory (or possibly dealer undercoated) undercoating and indoor storage, the car is rust free. The underside of the car has not been detailed. The engine compartment has been cleaned but not detailed.
The car was ordered with manual steering, manual brakes, manual windows and no convertible top. All 1955 Thunderbirds were equipped with a 292 cubic inch V-8 with a standard four-barrel carburetor which produced 198 horse power.
The paint is Thunderbird Blue with Turquoise and White interior. In my opinion the best 1955 color combination.
With few power accessories, there is very little maintenance needed for costly repairs and with no convertible top, ongoing maintenance and replacement is eliminated. As an added note, with manual brakes the car still has brakes if the engine stops running.
This car looks great, but it is not a show car. It is a car meant to be driven, therefore, it is a great driver…..not a trailer queen.

1955 FORD THUNDERBIRD 100I0I_jszgjH472nw_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00000_esZ39UPKB4G_0MM132_600x450.jpg00h0h_9q2XlSSGcmz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

• Like 3

I like the '55 the best of the first gen cars. It looks better without the Continental spare, and I like it better w/o the little fins. Also like the colors in and out, looks like a re upholstery job but looks well done. I like a base car, and this one surely is. Seems the prices on these have been dropping for a while. Might be time to make a move.

• Like 4

Sharp little cars, and this one's at a great asking price.

I was at the DMV once getting a Model A registered, and someone walked up and offered to trade a '55 TBird with a bad tranny for it. Definitely regret passing on that trade.

I did read that they have something like 32 inches of headroom, though.

If I didn't have a head I'd be a perfect fit.

I've owned a dozen early Birds, they are fun cars, though not to be confused with a "sports car".  I like the 55 too, but the 56 does have cowl vents, and anyone will tell you that transmission tunnel gets hot. The rear mounted spare does help with trunk room in the 56, otherwise one is traveling light.  Don't care that much for the 57, though that seems to be the most popular.

Very much a commodity car, decide what colors and options you want, and 25-30K will get you a nice one.  Higher prices are either over restored or auction fever.

I had a 55 just like the one shown, plain Jane with a standard trans, loved it and drove it a lot of miles.  

Doors never fit.  Problem with just a hardtop, if one on a tour and wants the top down, have friends help you carry it into motel room and check weather for rain.  Make sure no rust, and if no rust, this is not a bad buy.  Hope it finds a good home.

Edited by trimacar (see edit history)
  • Like 4

I'm not a fan of that colour combo, but that is a nice price. Up here it'd be near the low end of the range (First gen tbirds are expensive up here it seems). IMO this would be a good buy if you like the colour and can fit behind the steering wheel.

A lot of the cars delivered to California were hardtop only, I guess because they have a rainy season when you can put the top up, otherwise you store the top in the garage. This really is a very lightly optioned car, considering that the power seat was standard for 1955. The one thing to notice on this car is that the steering wheel has been replaced and sourcing one with the correct horn ring might be a little difficult. From what I could see of the pictures underneath it looks like the typical no rust California car.

I think when you discuss whether the 1955 Thunderbird was a “sports” car you must consider direct competition. The 1955 Corvette did have the 265, but it was hitched to the 2 speed Powerglide transmission. In straight line performance at Daytona Speed Weeks the Thunderbirds beat out the Corvettes. The Thunderbird had three transmission options, 3 speed, 3 speed with overdrive, and 3 speed Ford-O-Magic. Even Road & Track felt that the Thunderbird was a “touring” type sports car, but realized its limitations when competing against cars such as the Ferraris. It definitely held its own against the Corvette and as for sales, it was no contest with the Thunderbird winning handily.

Lew Bachman

1957 Thunderbird

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That is one of the lowest priced first gen T-Birds I have seen in a very long time.

Definitely in decent driver quality.

I like it.  David hit the nail on the head, like a Mustang or Model A for that matter, some good local choices and the market doesn't seem too out of balance coast to coast.  I still would like one of these and this one is appealing but I bet it is more of a local sale.  Long term owner is a plus and it seems to show in the car. 

Geographics aside it seems like a good deal but what is the soft top assy with a top?  $4,500-ish I think.  That puts it in range of locally restored cars with the soft top. 

Of course NE cars can be rusty but it seems many of these were pretty well done around here.  Since they were never bottom end cars fewer I think have had budget restorations.  At least from what I see anyway.

Lew, are these seats adjustable or fixed in these cars?  Thanks!

Steve, assuming that the power seat is in proper working order it will move back and front, up and down.  According to the owners handbook the seat moves four inches fore and aft, and one and three quarter inches up and down. The adjustable steering wheel (which a lot of people aren’t aware of) has a total fore and aft adjustment of three inches.

It would probably cost $5000 to get a soft top for the car, either an original restored one or the reproduction ones that the Tbird parts suppliers have (not the same as original, but looks the same from the outside). 

As for rust repair, you are most likely buying a car that did not have to have any patch panels welded or has a ton of Bondo. Also the car probably does not have a lot of rusted nuts and bolts underneath. My car was sold in California originally and not having to deal with big rust issues is a real benefit.

If I was in the market I would definitely consider it. I would also contact someone from the local chapter of CTCI to see if they know about the car or to have them take a look at it to see if it is a good buy.

Lew Bachman

1957 Thunderbird

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Lew.

Yes one non starter would be a crusty NE underside.  Less of a concern on a fully restored car but I get it.

I have yet to encounter a frozen bolt on my A, which was restored when these little birds were close to new.  That is priceless for home restoration!

Interesting on the seat and wheel.  I need to step up my research on these cars.  My top estimate wasn't too far off... 😊

13 hours ago, 1957Birdman said:

A lot of the cars delivered to California were hardtop only, I guess because they have a rainy season when you can put the top up, otherwise you store the top in the garage. This really is a very lightly optioned car, considering that the power seat was standard for 1955. The one thing to notice on this car is that the steering wheel has been replaced and sourcing one with the correct horn ring might be a little difficult. From what I could see of the pictures underneath it looks like the typical no rust California car.

I think when you discuss whether the 1955 Thunderbird was a “sports” car you must consider direct competition. The 1955 Corvette did have the 265, but it was hitched to the 2 speed Powerglide transmission. In straight line performance at Daytona Speed Weeks the Thunderbirds beat out the Corvettes. The Thunderbird had three transmission options, 3 speed, 3 speed with overdrive, and 3 speed Ford-O-Magic. Even Road & Track felt that the Thunderbird was a “touring” type sports car, but realized its limitations when competing against cars such as the Ferraris. It definitely held its own against the Corvette and as for sales, it was no contest with the Thunderbird winning handily.

Lew Bachman

1957 Thunderbird

Good point about California weather patterns. Living here we forget it's a bid different than other areas, but I do remember my Swedish relatives being shocked to think we would not expect any rain from May and September.