Starter

budd28

Last weekend I ran my 23 Buick, and this weekend I have no power to starter. Battery is fully charged I put a meter at every connection, and they all read at 6.3 volts. I'm lost now any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks Budd 

Are you saying there's power to the starter and it won't spin?  Or, is there no  power at the starter?  If it's the former, maybe there's a stuck (or worn) brush.  Try rapping the starter body with soft hammer (or use a wood block) and see if that jars the brush free.

• Like 1

First: does the starter motor on the Gen winding when you turn on the ignition? If not you likely have a wire off someplace.

Second: pop the cover off - the one beside the distributor and take a look in there. It may be obvious.

• Like 3

Budd:

Make sure battery is disconnected before taking off cover!! Easy to cause a short. After removal you can reconnect the battery.

Did you give me a call on Sunday? Terry Wiegand said that someone with a 1923-45 had an inoperable starter issue and got in touch with him. Terry gave him my number.

Switch points could be the issue within the Delco switch. Particuarly if it has not been rebuilt. Motoring is when switch points 1,2 and 3 are connected. The diagram below should be pretty similar to a 1923 including the switch. F983C551-9554-43F1-AE30-F56F81EF0460.jpeg.c2869dc86724740a20c323fa10da7a6d.jpeg.9309066cf39887ec2ba9514041f60135.jpeg

Edited by dibarlaw
Added content (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Did you do the basics like check the battery cable connections. If it's not even motoring you seem to be loosing power somewhere.. To motor you need power on BOTH the wire to the coil and starter AND the one from No.2 on the switch. But if you can get the gear engaged it should still spin the starter when you mash the pedal.  Im guessing the issue is before the starter.

• Like 1