Leather Belt / Strap with RR Logo in copper

L. Wall

• L. Wall changed the title to Leather Belt / Strap with RR Logo in copper

Looks almost identical to my dad's utility pole climber's safety belt. There is another belt, a toolbelt that goes around the climber's waist. It has two larger cast loops, one on each hip, which those hooks latch into. One usually climbs the pole with the safety belt hanging on one side, then when one has reached the wires or connections needing service, loops the safety belt around the pole with the end hooks one on each side. Than one can lean back against the belt and do the required work.

The belts are usually used with climbing spurs. Spurs are steel frame brackets that go under your shoe and up the side of your lower leg. They have attached belts and buckles to hold them tightly onto one's leg. Pole climber's and tree climber's spurs differ in the size and placement of the sharp spur itself. Tree climber's spurs are longer, and mount onto the steel frame slightly above the ankle. Pole climber's spurs are shorter and mounted onto the frame alongside the ankle. Tree climber's spurs have to be longer and in turn mounted higher because the spur has to poke through the thickness of the tree's bark to dig securely into the tree's solid wood, necessary for the climber's safety.

I imagine similar belts were used for many specialized purposes

• Like 5

2 hours ago, PAV8427 said:

When BNSF had actual phone lines along rails they(and others I would guess)

had the largest private phone service available. I believe all the way up into the 1990's. 

I think Sprint translates to Southern Pacific Rail something something.

Thank you 30D-P- for finding and posting those photos! They really show what the climber's belts are for. My dad had worked "high line" power systems (high voltage) for many years before getting into communications systems. I worked up on poles a little bit over the years, but never got that good at climbing with the spurs. My dad at six foot four inches and a bit shy of 300 pounds (a BIG fellow!) could go up and down poles like a squirrel! I never got that good at them myself. I however did spend many hundreds (maybe thousands even?) of hours up on towers with the belt.