Vin number identification 1940LaSalle help please

The idea of a VIN numbers was first introduced in 1954.  I believe you are referring to your automobile’s serial number.  Is your number on a data plate attached to the car or is it on a title?

• Like 3

If the LaSalles are like Cadillacs, the number is probably stamped on the frame on the driver's side near the steering box. Might have to do some light cleaning with a Scotchbrite pad to find it.

According to my 1946 MoToR repair manual, for 1940 LaSalle "on crankcase behind left cylinder block and on left frame side bar opposite steering gear."  That same book gives a *serial* (chassis) and engine (they are the same) number range *for Series 50* 2320001 to 2330082, and *Series 52* 4320001 to 4333751.

409176271 does not appear in Cad-LaS listings from 1935 through 1946, all of which have seven digits, whereas your number has nine digits.  Could your number be a casting number?

14 minutes ago, michaelwitte said:

Maybe the "new Vin"was given by the DMV?

That's one possibility.

On my 1939 Cadillac 75 which I owned for 42 years, the serial number was stamped into the top of the left frame rail (no photo available). To be able to see it, I had to remove the hood side panels (for you, only if your car is a Series 50--the more modern Series 52 had a different hood) and look down into the center of the hood opening.  I used a wire brush to remove paint to make the number visible.

If you're trying to research the originality of a LaSalle, get the build sheet.  It has all the original numbers and options as it left the factory.

• Like 1