Circa 1910 chain drive forward control boxer twin truck chassis

John E. Guitar

There is a fellow into REO trucks this era and has been advertising for months for parts. If you scroll down to the REO section he has a post there. I would contact him and see if he can tell you anything about this chassis. His handle is BryanC17reo.

• Like 1

I would like to know if these era chain drive units had a limited slip set up.  It seems like the chains needed to run at different speeds  in turns but yet still be able to drive.  I have watched the "Back in the day" film of the Vanderbuilt cars and they seem to driving with both wheels in the turns.    Can anyone enlighten me.  thanks in advance. 

22 minutes ago, DFeeney said:

I would like to know if these era chain drive units had a limited slip set up.  It seems like the chains needed to run at different speeds  in turns but yet still be able to drive.  I have watched the "Back in the day" film of the Vanderbuilt cars and they seem to driving with both wheels in the turns.    Can anyone enlighten me.  thanks in advance. 

The differential would take care of the difference in wheel speeds. 

I  realize the differential normally allows for different speeds of the axle or sprockets.   Most cars only drive with one wheel,  Hence if your right rear  wheel is spinning in mud , the left side will not drive unless you have some kind of positraction or locked axle.    The early chain drive cars must have had some type of limited slip or they only needed one chain.   What am I missing when I try to construct this drive in my mind.    I have asked this question in the past and never got a answer.  Back in the Day this information was known by many but most have "Passed"

9 minutes ago, DFeeney said:

I  realize the differential normally allows for different speeds of the axle or sprockets.   Most cars only drive with one wheel,  Hence if your right rear  wheel is spinning in mud , the left side will not drive unless you have some kind of positraction or locked axle.    The early chain drive cars must have had some type of limited slip or they only needed one chain.   What am I missing when I try to construct this drive in my mind.    I have asked this question in the past and never got a answer.  Back in the Day this information was known by many but most have "Passed"

The differential works no differently if you have sprockets or tires at the ends of the axle. The outside wheel, which has further to travel, will be the one powered. The inside just goes along for the ride.

1 hour ago, DFeeney said:

Don The  drive you see here has  spider gears no different than any differential. If you want to make up a chain drive  assembley get your self a model T rear axle or any other  early differential and cut down the tubes.