What is this knob under the dash?

Dan Reed

Anybody know what this knob is attached to the bottom of the radio in my 1951 Olds 98 sedan? It's a rotating knob with 3 position detents (notice the arrow on the face of the knob). Wondering if it is an upgrade from the 1950 antenna trimmer screw. The weather here in PA is still too crappy to fire the car up and get it out, so I haven't had the radio on to try the knob. Maybe next week. I've only had the car a month and just happened to see this mystery knob.

418343938_790507312908130_2566216664683362767_n.jpg

Maybe radio speaker select if it has more than one speaker installed.  If it was not a detention switch I would have guessed it was a fader speaker control for front to rear speaker selection.

• Like 2

Two points mentioned above were, control for rear speaker, and somebody said to trace the wires. My Olds does have a rear speaker. Regarding the wires, they go into the radio itself. Next time I get the car out I'll have to see if it effects the rear speaker at all. It's a 3 position knob so maybe [Front - Both - Rear] speaker selection. Interested to find out.  

Neat looking little switch. I'm guessing speaker selection.

One other possibility could be a switch for a power antenna. I have seen auxiliary switches used offset from a factory radio when someone added an aftermarket power antenna. Some early power antennas had the option of being down, half-mast or fully extended, so having multiple settings on the switch would make sense. But, I'm guessing you would know if your car had that modification.

A genuine Oldsmobile accessory rear seat speaker switch for 1950-1952 Oldsmobiles, the real deal. Gr.9.650 P/N 7257865. That chrome knob matches the style of the rest of the knobs on the dashboard and the wiring connector on the left side of the switch sure looks authentic. See Ebay item # 195396870632. Confirmed by parts book. 

• Like 6

Yep, I bet "The 55er" is on to something. I did more searching and found the actual part number you are referring to with the item's photo (which looks exactly like it. Next time I fire up the car I'll have to see if it works. because there is a factory rear speaker.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, The 55er said:

A genuine Oldsmobile accessory rear seat speaker switch for 1950-1952 Oldsmobiles...Confirmed by parts book. 

Thanks, Mr. 55er.  This forum is great for the

sharing of automotive expertise, often even for

the most obscure items!