Fram oil filter(s)

kplange

I'm going to do an oil change on my recently acquired '65 Buick Wildcat with the 401 engine. I see that Fram offers a choice of two PH 25 filters. One "for confined spaces" which is double the price of the standard one. Which one do I need?

On our ‘65 Wildcat - 401, we have been using the Wix 51049 which is a long/tall filter.  We have had no problem with spacing with both the OEM exhaust manifold or the headers we have on there now.  So I would suggest that you could use whatever you prefer.

Wix lists the filter height at 5.178 inches.

• Like 2

The original GM ACDelco filter number might now be different than it used to be, back then.  Check the ACDelco website for their latest part number, for good measure.  Might even find it at WalMart or similar?

Just buy a "normal" name-brand filter.  Normal pricing.  It'll be good enough.  Many people dislike Fram filters for their internal use of "cardboard" end caps on the filter media, as others use metal.  You can probably find some filter comparisons on YouTube so you can see what they are talking about.  Most of these videos are done by non-professionals and some of their dialogue might not be completely accurate, but the visual depictions should be accurate.  NONE of them talk about filter media ratings or efficiency, it seems, just the construction orientations.  You can also check out the oil filter area of www.bobistheoilguy.com to become more "educated".

Enjoy!

NTX5467

• Like 3

FWIW, I buy Wix/NAPA or Purolator filters.  My classic cars typically accumulate only about 1,000 ~ 1,500 miles per year.  Although I change the oil annually, the filter will go 2 ~ 3 years between changes depending upon mileage.  Buy a good quality filter.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, NTX5467 said:

Most of these videos are done by non-professionals and some of their dialogue might not be completely accurate,

January 16th and we already have the understatement of the year!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

I don't think any modern filter is as effective as earlier ones. 

Some years ago most filter manufacturers including OEM increased micron rating from 15 micron to, in some cases, up to 40 micron. That's letting a lot of oil contamination get thru the filter media. 

One idea driving this was that, as the filter media became loaded with contaminants, filter media would become more efficient due to contaminants plugging the larger "holes" in the filter media and reducing the size of particles allowed to pass.

I have no idea if it really works that way. I personally think it was part of the push for extended oil change intervals since the filter could go longer without plugging. "Good enough" in other words, and placated the enviro crowd at the expense of engine longevity. As long as the warranty gets honored... that's why after 22 years my Grand Marquis still gets Ford branded oil and filters.

Anyway, given that most engine oil filters now have a 20-30 micron rating (your coffee filter is rated at 10 microns🙄) any good name brand filter should work fine. I'm partial to WIX/NAPA and Purolator (both owned by Mann+Hummel), but a lot of private or white-label brands are made by Champion Labs who have also been in the filtration business for decades.

I'll admit to having some bias against FRAM because they are the only filters I've ever seen leak at the filter body crimp seam. 

• Like 1

Somewhat off topic but still about filters. I wonder about all those MERV 13 filters that were installed in malls and public buildings. Who changed them and where did they put them? It has been a couple of years. They must be due.

Thanks for the advice. I had been considering Wix filters as well and will definitely be buying one now. I had used them off and on over the years, but often had difficulty finding them.

• Thanks 1