Proper ignition coil for a foot start setup

deac

My request is for a friend who bought the 1941 Buick coupe mdl 44S out of South Dakota from a post in the for sale - not mine.

We found that the ignition coil has gone bad.  it's the original coil that was used in the foot start setup.  We want to continue with the setup and in keeping the car as original as possible we're looking for the original type of coil setup where there's an armoured cable from the key switch to the cap that snaps onto the coil that houses the positive power feed.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.....

2251844219606439604.jpg

Edited by deac (see edit history)

15 minutes ago, Daves1940Buick56S said:

How is the coil failing? Just no workee?

Yep, no workee!

In the interest of getting it running without butchering original equipment,  go from the battery to a, (hidden under the dash), switch to a 6V coil.  Use that until you find an OEM unit.

I did this with my Dodge because I'm too conservative, (AKA as "cheap"), to buy a key. 

I wired it to the dash light as a reminder and to indicate that the ignition is on.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Mike can restore your unit. 

https://mykmlifestyle.com

IMG_4484.png

Thanks for the referral.  I spoke to Mike and got basic information I need.  These things are more expensive than I thought!

1 hour ago, Old buicks 2 said:

I will have to check my books, but I think that base unit with the cable comes off the coil.   Might even have a NOS one

I would be interested in a NOS unit if you have one.  Please let me know,

Chris

That bottom cover proved to be a real son of a gun.  I think it was for 2 reasons; first it is an aftermarket coil; and second I don't know that the tab that releases the cover from the coil was aligned correctly.  Hopefully with this one it will be easier.  Any chance you verify that the cover releases properly?

Chris

Edited by deac (see edit history)

1 hour ago, EmTee said:

What exactly does the cable do?  Does it control power to the coil?

The armored cable is hollow and has a positive wire inside and it goes from the ignition switch to the coil.  It's an anti theft deal or so I am told!!!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Daves1940Buick56S said:

Stock Numbers

Delco   1115026

Niehoff   DR 170

But I see someone has one for you. Good luck!

Hey Dave,

Thanks for your research!

Chris

2 hours ago, deac said:

The armored cable is hollow and has a positive wire inside and it goes from the ignition switch to the coil.  It's an anti theft deal or so I am told!!!

Yes. The armored cable prevents hot wiring to the coil from the battery. Of course, if you are a real car thief you could just bring another coil. 

• Like 1