1927 Buick 27-24 Engine

Echofivelima

Hi there, I've got the original engine/transmission for my 27 Buick roadster but it was out of the car when I got it and is not rebuilt or restored. I happened to see a 1930 Chevy engine/transmission running for sale locally. Am I able to plug and play the 30 motor and transmission into the roadster? Just because I know the 30 is running and maybe eventually invest in rebuilding the original when finances allow. 

Thanks in advance. 
Mike

2 hours ago, Echofivelima said:

Hi there, I've got the original engine/transmission for my 27 Buick roadster but it was out of the car when I got it and is not rebuilt or restored. I happened to see a 1930 Chevy engine/transmission running for sale locally. Am I able to plug and play the 30 motor and transmission into the roadster? Just because I know the 30 is running and maybe eventually invest in rebuilding the original when finances allow. 

Thanks in advance. 
Mike

Will not be a drop in.

Will need cutting and welding of engine and transmission mounts as least.

I doubt it. Yes you can put anything in anything if you have a big enough hammer, but Buicks were built much more substantial than the Chevys and nothing will fit.

I THINK those will interchange.   as far as I know / remember, clutch and flywheel will fit.  Transmission is different. You may have to stay with 27 transmission.  Check the length between motor mounts but I think it's the same.  Also length of transmission. 

20 minutes ago, Oldtech said:

I THINK those will interchange.   as far as I know / remember, clutch and flywheel will fit.  Transmission is different. You may have to stay with 27 transmission.  Check the length between motor mounts but I think it's the same.  Also length of transmission. 

Thanks Oldtech. So you think the 27 transmission will bolt up to the 30 engine, correct? Are you saying that the clutch and flywheel would have to come off of the engine and put them on the 1927 ?

What's wrong with the engine you have? You already have it, it doesn't cost you anything, and you know it fits your car. Unless the rod is sticking thru the block it is going to be easier and cheaper to fix it than to transplant a second hand, 90 year old engine that could be in worse shape.

• Like 1

I hear what you are saying but it's not necessarily easier and cheaper to fix. Plan A was to use the original. I just came across this 1930 motor and started thinking...as car guys do.  I don't know the condition of the current motor. The 1930 is a running/driving engine, that I know works. I can purchase this (at least for the time being) get the car running and driving. I can save the original for a rebuild at a later date when cost allows.  I'm not sure what rebuilds cost in your area, but around here it's fairly expensive. Probably more than I paid for the car!  and this running one is definitely less than paying to have mine rebuilt.  The question is if the engine will drop in as a replacement, then it's likely worth the purchase. if it's going to take modifications, then likely not worth the investment and just stick with the original motor.  But that's what this site is for, to get the input of folks who have experience with these ol birds and know what works and what does not.  Thanks for the question. 

I'm quite familiar with the 27 setup, perhaps someone can enlighten us on the 30. Not sure if the clutch is the same. is the 30 still multiple disc?  The trans has the standard shift pattern on the 30. 27 is the backwards one so I don't know what other changes they made.  The engines are very similar. 30 has a fuel pump, 27 was vacuum tank I can't think of any other changes.

Anyone working on a 30??

Edited by Oldtech (see edit history)

After some emails and videos back and forth with tape measures. It appears that the 1930 engine block is longer that the 1927 engine. the motor mounts appear to be the same. 

thanks for the help though! 
Will focus on the motor I have and getting it running. 

• Like 1

As you mentioned ,  focus on your engine and  get it running.   do a compression/ leak down  test and decide what needs to be done.  You can do a valve job and replace the piston/rings for not a whole lot of money.  These are nice cars when running correctly.  Good Luck. 

• Like 1