1977 Cadillac Eldorado Ghost Horn

It's 3:30 a.m. in the morning and I was awakened by the blaring sound of my 1977 Cadillac Eldorado horn. Not just a toot or two, but a full on steady horn. I jump out of bed and run out to the car, open the hood and unplug the horns to get it to stop. I have no idea why it would just go off by itself, for no reason, in the middle of the night. I didn't check the horn pad on the steering wheel yet. Does anyone have any ideas why? 👻

While I am still chuckling at Buick35’s answer my only thought was if you had any critters in your garage? This happened to one of my modern cars and I found that a squirrel was trying out the culinary delights of my wiring…

• Haha 2

Does Eldorado have a factory or aftermarket alarm system? Pin switches on hood, trunk and doors can short out or even vibrate themselves into completing a ground circuit and setting off an alarm system.

My friends who work electrical substation maintenance tell me squirrels and snakes cause most of their emergency work. You'd think that after all these years tree rats would have learned about electricity...

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

Does Eldorado have a factory or aftermarket alarm system? Pin switches on hood, trunk and doors can short out or even vibrate themselves into completing a ground circuit and setting off an alarm system.

As rocketraider noted, an alarm pin switch or the associated wiring may have "shorted to ground" causing the horn to sound.  However, the factory or aftermarket alarm systems I've worked with over the years "cycle" the horn (short honk, pause, short honk, repeat...).

If an alarm system exists, it's controller may have failed causing a continuous "energizing" of the horn...  Also (alarm system or not), the little spring inside the horn relay may have broken causing the "high current" contacts to close.  

I would rule out an alarm system (if present) before doing anything else...

Think like Sherlock Holmes...!

Paul

Edited by pfloro (see edit history)

If it was the horn pad, as thunderbird sunroof posits, then the horn relay would still be energized and can drain the battery over time.

Best bet would be to pull the horn relay and reconnect the horns.

1 hour ago, zepher said:

If it was the horn pad, as thunderbird sunroof posits, then the horn relay would still be energized and can drain the battery over time.

Best bet would be to pull the horn relay and reconnect the horns.

I have seen this over my cadillac career.    when it's cold. the contacts hit.  and the horn goes off. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, thunderbird sunroof said:

I have seen this over my cadillac career.    when it's cold. the contacts hit.  and the horn goes off. 

If this the cause, what is the fix...?

Referencing the wiring diagram segment below:  Relay connection #3 powers the horns when the relay is energized.  Connection #1 is always hot.

Connection #2 is the relay coil.  It is grounded and the coil is energized when the contacts in the steering wheel pad close.   

To verify if the steering wheel pad contacts are the problem:  Disconnect the relay connector.  With an ohmmeter, measure the resistance from

connector #2 to ground.  If zero ohms, the steering wheel pad (or wiring) is the problem.  If infinity, the problem is at the relay or "beyond"...

Paul

Screen Shot 2024-01-09 at 3.28.29 PM.png

Edited by pfloro (see edit history)