1969 GMC 8 passenger "Handy Van" - $9,850

Rarely seen...probably priced at at some multiple of what it ought to be.... (more pics in ad)

https://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/d/eugene-incredibly-clean-zero-rust-well/7703262268.html

t's rare when these vans that are this straight and clean come up for sale. This one is extremely nice and original. Perfect Christmas light shuttled for Family and Friends! A great around town cruiser, parts hauler, beach or surf van or a collectable to take everyone to the car shows.
1969 GMC Handi Van Custom
250 inline 6 with Hei
Rare 4 speed column shift!
Originally a 4 speed, now a 3 speed and have 2 crated additional transmissions. One is a 4 the other a 3.
Unknown gear ratio but it cruises at freeway speeds and drives very nice. Several well thought out add ons by the original owner. Zero rust!!!! All seats and door panels in excellent un restored condition. The original headliner looks new!!!  Ralley wheels are new
3 fuel tanks. One rear tank and 2 saddle tanks. With the efficiency of the inline 6, 2bbl carb 250, upgraded ignition system this van can travel.
No leaks underneath, starts, runs, stops and drives really well. When you look around you will see how over maintained and meticulous the owner was.
Windshield has a crack

image.png.c47e0099ef63862ea7dda28bee4a1786.pngimage.png.adf6422ad8682ed6b1756ad251b2c6b3.pngimage.png.0f0f28362092d47f136d1f378d1dfa14.pngimage.png.7fec76ce86807132fec8f47779c33991.pngimage.png.f0a9c8c2e6128dc1e11aec9b7d3dcfe7.pngimage.png.13ed267dd0c4fc5a022e7901b8bf89ba.png

• Like 2

This thing is pretty cool in its own way. No logos that I can see but this looks like a church or private school bus. The St Helen's Motors dealer badge is neat.

I never knew these vans could have 4-speed column shifts but, granted, I know little about them. A couple of friends had what they called "shaggin wagons" in 70s but I never got into them.

Verdict? If it runs out well mechanically, could be a fun vehicle. The thought of doing a repaint makes me cringe though. Given that a van has to be painted inside and out, that's a lot of acreage to prep and paint!

• Like 3

Went to the motorcycle enduro races with my buddy Jerry back in the early 1970s in one of these vans.  He had his Honda XL175 and my XL250 in the back and we would sleep in the van Saturday night and ride Sunday in the event.  Jerry’s van was painted orange in keeping with the colors of the day.  This van sure brings back memories.

• Like 3

I agree with rocketraider. It's a good deal cooler than I was expecting it to be. The worn but solid original look is appealing on this vehicle. Hopefully it won't get butchered or "improved" by its next owner.

• Like 2

Nice looking van and they are fun to drive. Kind of like a bus. 

The only downside to these and others of this design is your guaranteed to be the first one to the accident and the only way out is with the jaws of life. I had a friend who was a first responder tell me when you have to cut someone out of one of these vans you will never own one. 😲

I was driving a 70 Volkswagen Van at the time.  

• Like 2

Wonder if that had owt to do with forward control light vans and pickups being phased out?

Trying to remember what year the engine-forward vans appeared. Sometime in 70s I think. Probably around the time new federal ambulance standards went into effect and eliminated car-based ambulance conversions.

image.png.1be70ca39ce1ffdd72cd607eefa72853.png 

The Ford E-Series (also known as the Ford Econoline, Ford Econovan or Ford Club Wagon) is a range of full-size vans manufactured and marketed by the Ford Motor Company. Introduced for 1961 as the replacement of the Ford F-Series panel van, four generations of the model line have been produced. Marketed for both cargo and passenger transport configurations, the E-Series has been designed with multiple design variations for both retail and commercial sale, including vans, and commercial-grade cutaway van chassis and stripped chassis (a chassis without bodywork). Over 8.2 million units sold since 1961

• Like 2

My wife drove a 9 passenger Econoline throughout the years our five kids were in school. No soccer teams, but tons of neighborhood kids and dogs. Very reliable, roomy, and relatively economical for a 300 in. six. I don't recall any major repairs - just regular maintenance.

These vans are still very popular on the west coast - especially the "shorty" panel vans (short wheelbase).

Not a lot survive thanks to heavy commercial use, van campers, and the hippies.

Good ones tend to command good prices. There are a number of van clubs that are quite active, too.

image.png.63997ab9c1a30957e3b043c5d1643355.png

image.png.726224a68e7501591dd2e39e1f637356.png 

image.png.8ff53be72914fa067caca21eae885249.png

• Like 2

I had one of these in my misspent youth and thought I had the only one with a four speed.

Mine came with a 283 and a three on the tree.

I used a heavy pull/push cable that ran from the dash to the reverse lever on the tranny. Using the three speed linkage for the 4 forward gears.

Never heard of an original four speed in one of these.

Chrystang 2.jpg

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)