MG TD for sale - $7,100

While looking at ads this morning I saw 3 VW powered "replicas" of this car for the same price as this real one!

(more pics in ad) 

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/sacramento-mg-td-for-sale/7701197968.html

True barn find. 1951 MGTD. Dry stored since 1960. 40k original miles. Fresh rebuilt numbers matching engine. 15 mins total run time. New +.060 pistons, bearings, cam and lifters, engine balanced, cylinder head guides and valve job. Rebuilt carbs, new fuel lines, new electronic fuel pump, rebuilt oil pump, new starter, new dynamo, new front engine and trans mounts, clutch and disc, clutch cable, throw out bearing, hoses clamps,
Completely refreshed brake system. Rebuilt MC, new wheel cylinders and hoses, seals, DOT5 brake fluid.
5 new Royalton 5.60-15 tires  New white vinyl hood and side curtains. (Never installed)
Fuel tank removed and thoroughly cleaned  Chrome KOTR headlights in very nice condition.
Near perfect grill shell. No dents dings or cracks. Just needs cleaning All misc original chrome bits are loose and bagged  Some original interior panels but in poor condition. Good seats
Timbers appear sound as is the plywood. Upper rear tub timber replaced.

Car is 98% complete. Needs interior panels, carpet, fender welting and tail light lenses and I highly recommend a new wiring harness. Original lacquered wiring harness is quite brittle. All parts are easily available from Moss, NTG, Abingdon Spares and FTFU.
Car runs, drives and stops! No test drives. Car is not registered or insured. Clean title in hand.

email'    444700f840233e37a36e8ca4740ada7c@sale.craigslist.org

image.png.690bf6abf5751dca31d132df76b7d15c.pngimage.png.aee879237f7b8d32860f370c005d3994.pngimage.png.42222a65b6bad6b531d7c53b9e26e55b.pngimage.png.cb096928a38d1ee54201bb3c850d7f0e.pngimage.png.57ed8c97b1326f2bc40baf1d69756507.pngimage.png.930758503afc951da3fc933f8a99fb6b.pngimage.png.715298cb8f17c06155fc92da57558d7d.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes, there are a ton of replicas listed everywhere. TD’s are interesting cars and I know several owners who enjoy them. The GOF (the Gathering of the Faithful), looks like a fun event to attend. My pecking order for the T series is purely a visual thing but I like TC’s, then TF’s , then the TD.... in that order. 

it is just my gut, but I think TD’s could be flat or even have gone down in the last 20 years. 

there are some pretty nice ones that run and are largely original listed all the time for 15.  There are so many that I’m sure some could be picked up for less..(12 cash maybe??).  

that fact makes it hard to pull the trigger on a project like this unless a project and the challenge is what you wanted all along. 

a great thread on here of a nice TD restored was shared by 

@Luv2Wrench

check it out if a TD restoration is keeping you up dreaming late at night. 

Edited by John Bloom (see edit history)
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, John Bloom said:

Yes, there are a ton of replicas listed everywhere. TD’s are interesting cars and I know several owners who enjoy them. The GOF (the Gathering of the Faithful), looks like a fun event to attend. My pecking order for the T series is purely a visual thing but I like TC’s, then TF’s , then the TD.... in that order. 

it is just my gut, but I think TD’s could be flat or even have gone down in the last 20 years. 

there are some pretty nice ones that run and are largely original listed all the time for 15.  There are so many that I’m sure some could be picked up for less..(12 cash maybe??).  

that fact makes it hard to pull the trigger on a project like this unless a project and the challenge is what you wanted all along. 

a great thread on here of a nice TD restored was shared by 

@Luv2Wrench

check it out if a TD restoration is keeping you up dreaming late at night. 

John,

I absolutely agree with your evaluation. Having restored my 1948 MG-TC back in the 1960s it was my favorite, and with respect to other folks, the TD would also be lower on my list. Now, the American Classics and Brass, and our later toys are hard to surpass.

• Like 1

Pretty sure TDs have declined at least as adjusted for inflation. They don't have those nice pre-war style wheels like a TC but have similar performance (0-60 eventually) that limits their everyday usefulness. In my experience, MGs in general have some of the best clubs! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Leif in Calif said:

Pretty sure TDs have declined at least as adjusted for inflation. They don't have those nice pre-war style wheels like a TC but have similar performance (0-60 eventually) that limits their everyday usefulness. In my experience, MGs in general have some of the best clubs! 

Ha 0 to 60 eventually!! 😀😀

Have not experienced an MG club yet but I bet it was like the Triumph club I belonged to 80s, 90s.  Lot's of driving and tech and we even had some very close to perfect examples.  We even mingled with the MG folks a lot. 😉😀

• Like 1

While it won't help the mediocre performance of a MGTD . If you fit wire wheels { most MGTF's have them } the look of the car improves significantly. The parts from a wire wheel TF are a direct bolt on.