car monogram

I have seen them mostly on rear doors on pre WWII era 4 door cars, on station wagons they could also be found on the front doors . ALL DIFFERENT styles of lettering plus possible additions of a shape, flower, etc.

I remember as a kid my parents bought a 2 year old 1949 Pontiac deluxe station wagon - came off an estate went to a car dealer to be traded in on a new car. that had a monogram on it and it was on the front door at the belt line .

1 hour ago, Walt G said:

I have seen them mostly on rear doors on pre WWII era 4 door cars, on station wagons they could also be found on the front doors . ALL DIFFERENT styles of lettering plus possible additions of a shape, flower, etc.

I remember as a kid my parents bought a 2 year old 1949 Pontiac deluxe station wagon - came off an estate went to a car dealer to be traded in on a new car. that had a monogram on it and it was on the front door at the belt line .

This may be the wrong place for my comment but I want to compliment Walt for his article in Crankshaft on the  Le Baron advertising. His text and the pictures were fascinating and informative. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, thunderbird sunroof said:

I bought a 49 buick wagon.     and want to put on my monogram on my car.   I am not sure what door to put it on.   I have always put it on 2 dr cars     any input ?

IMG_6778.jpeg

IMG_4513.jpeg

How about just one right in the center of the tail-gate or rear window?

Terry

I would do the front door, similar to the R R car shown. There is a ford country squire in Goldfinger-James Bond movie that has the horse farms logo on the door the same as above. I always thought that was pretty cool. One of my work trucks is an Expedition and I was going to letter it the same way. Ended up with something on the back gate.

20 minutes ago, Paul Dobbin said:

I would think the left breast pocket on your shirt and the drivers door just below the window.

My dad got that thrown in as part of the deal when he bought a brand new Lincoln Town Coupe in 1977; monogramed stick-on initials from Lincoln-Mercury for the driver's door, and golf shirt with his initials complete with a Lincoln star logo. 

There was a time when tackiness in place of real wood & leather sold high-end US luxury cars in the 1970's!!

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)
  • Like 1