How much do you know about valves on a flathead engine?

marcapra

From a 1950 Chrysler mechanics quiz.  You might need to brush up your valve knowledge by watching this Chrysler filmstrip from 1949.  P.S. - As noted on the quiz, if you return this quiz to Chrysler Corp. after March 31, 1950, it will be returned ungraded.  So I will let you grade yourself by supplying the answers below.  

https://mymopar.com/mtsc-1949-volume-3-3-the-story-of-valves/

valves.jpg

valves2.jpg

valves3.jpg

Edited by marcapra (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I think I do alright. Re-saeled more than a few valves. Rebulit a couple valve train systems. Rebuilt a flathead engine.  I really feel that a person attempts to seal valves, new or otherwise, you must confirm they are sealed. Each and every one of them. I like to test by ensuring each seat will not allow liquid to pass. Kerosene, solvent, diesel, whatever.  A cylinder leak-down test at TDC works too.  Never assume valves are sealing just because you had the seats cut and new valves installed. Do not cut corners to re-use guides or springs. You’re that far in. New springs and guides are cheap. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Oldtech said:

I've done a lot of valves. Got 90%. The one I missed was 5.

that's because the answer is wrong.  if the springs have close coils at one end, then the close coils go to the stationary end. ie; the spring seat end, not the valve keeper/retainer end.  not used often in car engines, but alot of gas and diesel older tractor engines valve springs have close coils meant to be damper coils on one end.  also ive seen coil springs in cars that have a couple close coils, again on the end mounted to frame or bracket on the frame.

terry

• Like 1

Some engines DO have springs that go one way, but I take it the ol' flathead doesn't matter.

If there are more compressed turns at one end that end goes towards the non moving end.