1932 Buick model 86

Bob Lee

Figure 25-30k if all castings are good. You may get lucky and get it done for less.....but bearings are 150 a rod, and 225 per main. Figure a set of pistons and rings and pins at 300 each for 2400 if you use Aries, Ross, or similar. Valves are no longer available last time I checked......so it could be an easy grand just for valves and guides. Don't forget springs, and a gasket kit is 600 last time I checked. My total number includes rebuilding the generator, water pump, starter, distributor, ect. Money doesn't go far today. Also, time.......most good shops are at least a year out or longer. May as well do the clutch, torque tube ball, and overhaul the trans while you are at it. Ed

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Bob Lee said:

The head was completely rebuilt in 2021 and not driven sense. I'm waiting on title from estate so I can't start yet. Thank you for the info, Bob Norton, ohio

Don't attempt to start it until you've verified everything is free, I've been burned by the "recently rebuilt" with a minor ticking noise that turned out to be a totally destroyed cam gear 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bob Lee said:

The head was completely rebuilt in 2021 and not driven sense. I'm waiting on title from estate so I can't start yet. Thank you for the info, Bob Norton, ohio

“…was completely rebuilt in…” are some of the most misused words in the hobby.  Unfortunately much vintage engine and other mechanical work is completed by persons who aren’t qualified or experienced enough to appreciate the complexities of engines far more complicated than a flathead Ford V8 or smallblock Chevy.  I recently experienced this with a “rebuilt” Pierce Arrow V12.  @edinmass knows of what he speaks; don’t assume anything.  In fact I would assume that rebuilt means something is now screwed up unless you can speak to the person who did the work and verify that what was done was properly completed to original spec by a person experienced with that particular engine.  Your engine is an overhead valve engine extremely prone to cracked heads…. Read the various forum threads for 1931 and 1932 Series 80/90 344 cubic engines especially with regard to valve train, cam gears, timing, and especially the Marvel updraft carburetor, heat riser casting and tube inserts.  

• Like 2

One must also ponder the question…….the head was completely rebuilt last year…….yet the rest of the engine and accessories were left alone? Or did they dig into the engine and stop because of money or other obstacles?

• Like 4

I'm starting to hear Clint Eastwood whisper in my ear every time I look at a car that isn't running when I consider the mechanics.  "do you feel lucky punk"  Especially if one considers not just running but reliably running.  Usually two very different amounts of money required and the later in multiples of the first to the (fill in the number) power.

I was shocked to see a set of black wall tires for a model A (and that's only 4) is over $1000.   Just figure that with everything I guess.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

I was shocked to see a set of black wall tires for a model A (and that's only 4) is over $1000.   Just figure that with everything I guess.

A set of 5 tires tubes and flaps for the Pierce was just under $2500 and that was a year before COVID made them unobtainable. Everything else Ed put numbers on was pretty accurate compared to what I did (and didn’t do) to get mine done. Sticker shock aside your reference to Dirty Harry is too accurate to be funny…

Yeah I know Tires for the big stuff are expensive.  I was just surprised a tire that is so commonly used and nothing special were so expensive especially in a black wall.  They actually have a radial for almost the same price as the cheapest tire which really surprised me,  since usually the radial upgrade on old tires was $100 or more each.    Maybe it's new upside down world pricing?