1955 Buick Roadmaster

Berl79

I was recommended to start a build thread here, also seems like a good idea to keep track of what I am doing on this car. She's a 1955 Buick Roadmaster 76R, my first Buick but my second 1950s GM car (previously owned a 1956 Chevy 210 that I regret selling). Idles great but currently having spark and carb issues so wont stay running in drive. Rust wise its not terrible from what ive been able to see so far, front floors were repaired with fiberglass a while ago and its falling apart, and some rocker rust but the rest of the car looks pretty solid. My current biggest fear is the electrical system, haven't done wiring before and this thing has a lot of power functions in it. Sadly the thin band whitewalls are the current tires as the old WWW didn't hold air very well anymore.

379640230_1357357685212135_5187121160000966282_n (1).jpg

385547346_323577563887605_8950990922329735978_n.jpg

387463561_992538095167724_3018998361765345931_n.jpg

377153665_219002291235647_7188199089558415228_n.jpg

371505732_1680140659178821_5079091830200786080_n (1).jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

This is an exciting car!  Top of the line with the right accessories.  Also a very popular year for Buick and a timeless & iconic design. The good news is the wiring isn't usually a problem in the 55 on up. Unless something is not working just leave that alone.  How about a picture under the hood?  I am thinking it will need spark plugs and spark plug wires.  I would do that and other tune up items before messing with or blaming the carburator.  Leave that for the last item in case you can leave it alone too.   

Did it come with a factory service manual?  If not I strongly suggest getting one.  

And if you've never driven a Dynaflow transmission you may find it very odd.  Of note is the single speed Drive gear, where you will never feel it shift.  It throws a lot of people off.  But it is the normal program for a Dynaflow and nothing to be concerned about. 

Good luck with this car.  Hope you get to enjoy it 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations - this looks like a solid car that can really benefit from some TLC and 'sympathetic restoration'.  Lots of people on the forum who own or are very familiar with these cars.  1955 was a great year for Buick!  ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well got back home and was messing with the car a little, still need to go pick up a new set of points but finally got spark from the distributor. Also got all 4 windows to roll down although the passenger door window doesn't want to come back up, assuming the motors need rebuilt. Not too much progress right now as another project tossed out part of a connecting rod so I have to engine swap that first before any major progress on the Buick.

368795883_728555619157932_5825570131242321438_n.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Berl79 said:

Well got back home and was messing with the car a little, still need to go pick up a new set of points but finally got spark from the distributor. Also got all 4 windows to roll down although the passenger door window doesn't want to come back up, assuming the motors need rebuilt. Not too much progress right now as another project tossed out part of a connecting rod so I have to engine swap that first before any major progress on the Buick.

368795883_728555619157932_5825570131242321438_n.jpg

A wise 55 man once told me to tap the window motor with a hammer. 🔨 it worked! Nice car

Edited by Elpad (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

Berl79 

I want to welcome you to the forum. The knowledge from the members will help you accomplish so many things on your project. The advice you have received already will help move this project along. 

Cool car I would  focus on getting it running and the safety items brakes lights and steering  I am glad to see new tires. When it  is safe and reliable drive the car and start having fun!  Make repairs as items come up the old car hobby needs to see these cars on the road. 

I know of a young lad that has a 55 Chev car that is as rough as they get holes in the floor and plenty of patina. His daily driver he has fun and everyone smiles when he drives by. 

You brought up the wiring  many folks install a battery switch. Easy to do and they are cheap and good insurance. I never leave an old car unattended with the battery hooked up. I also carry a fire extinguisher in the car.  

Keep posting on the forum it helps me get motivated on my projects. 

Steve

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JohnD1956 said:

It also works if you tap on the window, although I can only guarantee it to work once. 

Butta Bing!!  Butta Boom!!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, 195354 said:

Berl79 

I want to welcome you to the forum. The knowledge from the members will help you accomplish so many things on your project. The advice you have received already will help move this project along. 

Cool car I would  focus on getting it running and the safety items brakes lights and steering  I am glad to see new tires. When it  is safe and reliable drive the car and start having fun!  Make repairs as items come up the old car hobby needs to see these cars on the road. 

I know of a young lad that has a 55 Chev car that is as rough as they get holes in the floor and plenty of patina. His daily driver he has fun and everyone smiles when he drives by. 

You brought up the wiring  many folks install a battery switch. Easy to do and they are cheap and good insurance. I never leave an old car unattended with the battery hooked up. I also carry a fire extinguisher in the car.  

Keep posting on the forum it helps me get motivated on my projects. 

Steve

Thanks for the welcome! Its funny that you mention a young guy driving around a 55 Chevy, my first 50s car was actually a 1956 Chevy that I drove through high school, sounds like mine was just as rough LOL. Once I get it running good my next area of attention will be brakes, I was told they were gone through roughly 8 years ago but ill still be replacing all of the rubber bits and checking the master cylinder.

Thank you all for your help!

• Like 2