Mounting tires on wire rims

Jeffrey1344

I have 40 spoke wire wheels on my 1955 Buick Special Convertible and need to find someone that can mount new DiamondUntitled8.jpg.31fe5da46c0484fe7fe3227db5d4509f.jpg Back tires. Most shops would rather not touch this since they are afraid that they will scratch the rims. Firestone and Just Tires here in Los Angeles won't touch it. Does anyone have someone they can recommend in the Los Angeles area?

Thank you

You might want to check with some local high quality custom car or restoration shops in your area. They no doubt deal with tire/wheel people that produce similar level work. Shops that are known for award-winning show vehicles would be my choice.

You probably can't expect to pay what Firestone or Discount Tires might charge for the job, if you want premium results.      Good Luck.

P.S.   You have a great looking car!

Edited by Twisted Shifter (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Done by hand, you can actually install them with no irons, you need to look like Hulk Hogan, but it can be done by a big boy. When I was 340 pounds, I could just push them on using a stand and lube. A rim clamp with plastic covers won’t damage them, but you need someone with brains and experience to do it…….which is almost impossible to find today.

• Like 1

some shops have plastic guards for tire changer machines......even my cheap china ebay tire changer machine has plastic clip on guards for the rim clamp.....to hold wheel.....and for the flat bar to slideimage.png.dcb8ce15970e08e83fb8807eac934451.png tire over rim edge.......for $10-$20 you can buy guards of all kinds also on amazon.

perhaps if you find a small one man shop....where you can deal with the guy and get guards needed.

I have a friend in LA......Rick............owns R and S auto on washington blvd........he has high end shop for newer ferrari ,rolls etc.....small shop and absolute perfectionist with care......i am sure he has well guarded tire changer machine etc for doing million dollar car wheels and you will be dealing with him direct .i bought a classic rolls from him and have used him on trips for service and parts.........been a few years....hope he is still in biz.

I am only 145 lbs.......and have changed many by hand.......it really dosnt take much braun......just brains to have the irons and tire bead in the right spot at the right time.....

Edited by arcticbuicks (see edit history)
  • Like 1

image.png.c743dcd617b2bb4b152af6d3f4aa0850.pnga 'touchless hook'........style tire machine is what i was trying to think of .......is what you want to look for that a shop has.....no metal tire machine parts touch your rim changing tire........lucky for you being in LA......there will be......with custom or high dollar wheel places

This^^

Up in the beautiful PNW, that kind of tire machine is called a "Rim Clamp". They have become common these days. Normally they do not touch the wheel.

Years ago when I worked in shops with traditional tire machines (Coats 40-40 and similar), almost no one would touch a wire wheel. None of the places I worked at would do it. It was forbidden. The concern was that you might bend the wheel, and you might! We had nylon tips for the traditional machines, so could handle nice wheels without scratching the finish. Wires though? Nope.

Now almost every tire shop has a rim clamp. As others have suggested, I would still avoid the discount places that cater to normal cars. A rim clamp when set properly wont touch the rim, but you still need to break the bead loose, and the thing that breaks it loose is mounted on the side of the machine. There is a lot of power behind it. It is less dangerous to the wheel than a traditional machine because the wheel is not tied down at the center, but still think an idiot could figure out how to damage a wheel with it.

• Like 1

One must never underestimate the stupidity of tire changers. Last year a guy was bragging to me how he can change a tire on anything better than anyone in the state of Florida. He worked on a 1934 Buick tire for me that was at least 70 years old. I had to stop him from damaging it after fifteen minutes with absolutely no results. I told him to step aside, and I had the tire off the rim in fifteen seconds. It’s about brains, not braun or pounding on it. Problem is finding a good shop with a talented guy. Don’t expect to pay 12 dollars to R&R the tire. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

I know exactly what you mean Ed.  Changing the tires on the 33 plymouth now.  Problem is it's always about 2 years in between changing tires and I forget all the tricks and technique.  I usually figure it out on the last one.  Then forget it all in the next two years.   The last bead slid right on last night of the first two tires,  once I finally recalled where to put the bars and how much pressure was needed. Of course a pause for 3 weeks while I figured out tube configurations didn't help.   2 more to go.  Should have it down pat,  to forget it all before the next change. 

• Like 1