For Sale: 1964 Oldsmobile Jetstar 1 - "Older restoration, Great driver" - Clover, SC - Not Mine - 12/18 SOLD!

For sale on Facebook: 1964 Oldsmobile Jetstar 1 Sport Coupe in Clover, SC  -  $12,000  -  Must be a member of Facebook to access Seller's contact information.

Link: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/974881880247768/-1964-Oldsmobile-Jetstar-1-Sport-Coupe

Seller's Description:

1964 Oldsmobile Jetstar 1 Sport Coupe

• Driven 97,000 miles
  • Automatic transmission
  • Exterior color: Green · Interior color: Green
  • Clean title
  • This vehicle has no significant damage or problems

1964 Oldsmobile Jetstar 1. Older restoration that is starting to show its age. Great driver. 394 olds engine with automatic transmission. Interior is 9/10. Great condition with no rips or tears. Exterior is in good condition with only surface rust. Please see photos. Starts, runs, stops great. Non AC car but heat works good. Original radio that still works. New tires and original wheels installed.

• Would not hesitate to drive every day. Rare car that turns heads. Don’t see these very much.

Time to sell no trade.

image.png.502ff83767f8ef2764b6cfd6a832e22b.png

image.png.2967a29b5f47513aad5e4012d7dd2796.png

image.png.bba0ebbd8163f5f80e5baa236b5b48d4.png

image.png.6a07fded62ead0fbe0de7ec8b9c84a20.png

image.png.bc766e6df8ed743f9adf21b10bb61fc1.png

image.png.97affe5af9b263f7eb8e376d6b4c306c.png

image.png.1d0787db2f2664f69d3e316ef813ca93.png

image.png.af4415b786a84aab631f36940ab3b470.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update status (see edit history)

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1964 Oldsmobile Jetstar 1 - "Older restoration, Great driver" - Clover, SC - Not Mine

The rear glass is the same, however, the detail where the forward corner of the C-pillar meets the quarter panel is slightly different.  The Olds corner is rounded, whereas the GP comes to a point.  It's a cosmetic difference; the quarter glass is also identical.

Jetstar:

image.png.97affe5af9b263f7eb8e376d6b4c30

GP:

image.png.4d96021b0a2a632908e5827602cef5e5.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, EmTee said:

The rear glass is the same, however, the detail where the forward corner of the C-pillar meets the quarter panel is slightly different.  The Olds corner is rounded, whereas the GP comes to a point.  It's a cosmetic difference; the quarter glass is also identical.

Jetstar:

image.png.97affe5af9b263f7eb8e376d6b4c30

Not true, the Olds quarter windows actually have curved rear frames.

DSCF8193.JPG

DSCF8194.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

GM often designed quarter panels to end a few inches into the C pillar.  This allowed each division to make subtle design differences from one another in the quarter window area.  An example of this is the '68-'69 and '70-'72 Chevelle hardtop.  I read that all of these used the same roof panel.  Also look at the slight differences between the '70-'72 Chevelle/Skylark with the LeMans/GTO and Cutlass/442.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jim Skelly said:

GM often designed quarter panels to end a few inches into the C pillar.

Good point; I do remember seeing that done.  What surprised me is that GM/Olds went to the trouble of creating a unique piece of quarter glass with matching chrome frame.  I'd have thought they could have just used one quarter glass part and let rubber strip on the quarter panel window trim fill the gap.  Of course this was back when the GM divisions were much more independent.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Oldsmobile management got to slicing and dicing the model choices a bit fine for 1964:

Car Show Classics: 1964 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88 Convertible - 394 cubic inches and 3-on-the Tree - Curbside Classic

What the article failed to mention was a 4-speed was available on the full-size Olds in '64, but only with the 330 engine.  A 4-speed was optional on the '65 and '66 425 engine.   

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Jim Skelly said:

What the article failed to mention was a 4-speed was available on the full-size Olds in '64, but only with the 330 engine.  A 4-speed was optional on the '65 and '66 425 engine.   

Jim:

Was the limiting of the 4-speed to the 330 engines because Oldsmobile was essentially building the Jetstar 88 from the F-85/Cutlass powertrain parts bins?

Steve

Partly that, and partly because 394 would break any in-house four-speed GM had at the time.

Little known fact: three and four speed transmissions installed in full-size 60s Oldsmobiles were Ford top-loaders without the Ford oval cast into the case. Commonly called the "Dearborn" transmission. The heavy-duty three speed in the Cutlass was also a Ford-built unit.

No more than were sold it was cheaper to buy them from Ford than to build a transmission stout enough to live behind the big-inch Olds engines in-house.

I believe Buick and Pontiac also used the Ford transmission in their stick-equipped full-size cars, which were no more common than stick big Oldsmobiles.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, rocketraider said:

I believe Buick and Pontiac also used the Ford transmission in their stick-equipped full-size cars...

My '64 GP was ordered with the 'heavy duty 3-speed' transmission, which was the Ford unit described above.  The person I bought it from (2nd owner) installed a T-10, but I have the original transmission.

• Like 4

I'm trying to talk a longtime friend into getting this J-1. It's only about 3 hours away and, all things considered, is one of the best I've seen.

His dad had a white/saddle interior 64 and John has always wanted to find another in that combination (y'all know my opinion of the 63-4 Olds saddle interior, but it does "work" with a white car).

We'll see.

• Like 5

There is a glut of older cars on the market and the younger potential buyers are typically not going this old to fill the garage. Expect more of this to occur.   

Plus - Facebook marketplace has its inherent flaws for casual shoppers, we know about their algorithms that literally remove a car from searches.  

You have to “save” the car on your account and even then facebook may drop ads.  I have seen it done.  I saved a 64 Eldorado convertible from Missouri , said “nah, I am not ever going to buy it”, deleted it from my saves and now I can’t find it and facebook won’t allow me to find it.  

Craigslist was better. National search engines generally worked, now not so much. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1964 Oldsmobile Jetstar 1 - "Older restoration, Great driver" - Clover, SC - Not Mine - 12/18 SOLD!
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2023 at 12:39 PM, rocketraider said:

I'm trying to talk a longtime friend into getting this J-1. It's only about 3 hours away and, all things considered, is one of the best I've seen.

His dad had a white/saddle interior 64 and John has always wanted to find another in that combination (y'all know my opinion of the 63-4 Olds saddle interior, but it does "work" with a white car).

We'll see.

Did your friend buy this car?