1911 EMF Tourer

John Lynn

• 3 weeks later...

Hello. Looking for some more advice.

My 1911 EMF is right hand drive. I have attached some photos of the batteries bank , wiring loom etc as well as other photos of the restortation project.

On the drivers side door there is a small on/off button that appears to be looped back to the main wiring loom. I cannot find reference to it in the parts handbook. Maybe an aftermarket addition but would like any feedback on what it could be.

IMG_2258.jpg

IMG_2259.jpg

IMG_2260.jpg

IMG_2261.jpg

IMG_2264.jpg

IMG_2263.jpg

IMG_2262.jpg

• Like 3

• Author
.On the drivers side door there is a small on/off button that appears to be looped back to the main wiring loom. I cannot find reference to it in the parts handbook. Maybe an aftermarket addition but would like any feedback on what it could be.

I suspect it's the horn button. Are there wires and a contact spring on the hinge side?
  • Like 1

I also suspect a horn. The 1913 Studebaker 25, a close relative of the EMF, had an electric horn, or at least some of them did. The button was on the steering wheel, and some of that twisted pair wire literally hung below the steering column and wrapped around the column as you turned. I don't recall where I saw this, maybe in the parts manual. I have never seen it on a restored "25".

Where exactly are those dry cells located in your car? Is your magneto a Splitdorf?

3 hours ago, John Lynn said:

Hello. Looking for some more advice.

My 1911 EMF is right hand drive. I have attached some photos of the batteries bank , wiring loom etc as well as other photos of the restortation project.

On the drivers side door there is a small on/off button that appears to be looped back to the main wiring loom. I cannot find reference to it in the parts handbook. Maybe an aftermarket addition but would like any feedback on what it could be.

IMG_2258.jpg

I think that is an old-fashioned door bell button. Of  course it would work for a horn but I wonder if it isn't just something added by a previous owner....a long time ago.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, JV Puleo said:

I think that is an old-fashioned door bell button. Of  course it would work for a horn but I wonder if it isn't just something added by a previous owner....a long time ago.

I agree that is possibly a door bell switch that was used a long time ago to replace the original horn button. I have an original on my 1914 Chandler for the Sparton horn. As mentioned above there are contacts in the door frame that complete the circuit, so you can only sound the horn when the door is closed. It's real easy to depress when driving with your knee so you do not have to take your hands off the steering wheel when rounding a corner, which given the effort required to steer would be quite a challenge.

fi18.cgi.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

On a side note, Jay Leno just posted a video driving a 1911 EMF Model 30 on Youtube last week.  It is not his but the owner was with him and he took it out on the road and drove it.  The owner even did the crank-start which I am always impressed with.  Nice Car.

• Like 1