What's this engine worth?

14 minutes ago, wayne sheldon said:

Is this the engine that was discussed about a year or two ago? Looks like the same shelving behind a very similar Stutz engine.

I thought so too but I looked but and couldn't find it.   Unfortunately for the little old lady you are "helping" it isn't worth much.  Especially as the six.

Have her contact the Stutz club info@stutzclub.org  and they will advertise it to their members.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I thought so too but I looked but and couldn't find it.   Unfortunately for the little old lady you are "helping" it isn't worth much.  Especially as the six.

I don't recall what subsection of the forum that discussion was under? I never was good at searches to find past discussions, but was hoping to push someone else to recall more.

Sadly, "not worth much" was the conclusion of the previous discussion as I do recall. I sure hope that engine can find its way to a Stutz owner that could use it or at least keep it around awhile longer. Things like that are not valuable these days, unless one really needs it to keep their Stutz on the road. And then only if they have deep enough pockets.

45 minutes ago, wayne sheldon said:

I don't recall what subsection of the forum that discussion was under? I never was good at searches to find past discussions, but was hoping to push someone else to recall more.

Sadly, "not worth much" was the conclusion of the previous discussion as I do recall. I sure hope that engine can find its way to a Stutz owner that could use it or at least keep it around awhile longer. Things like that are not valuable these days, unless one really needs it to keep their Stutz on the road. And then only if they have deep enough pockets.

The chances of that engine ending up in a car is about one and 10. And I’m probably being optimistic.

• Like 1

In todays reality, it's more valuable as a boat anchor. Certainly there is a guy out there who would like a spare engine......what would he give for it? Very little.......hell, even if free most people would just pass on it. I recommend asking a grand, and taking ANY offer. Then what will you do when it needs a crate and delivery to a truck dock? 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

18 minutes ago, alsancle said:

The chances of that engine ending up in a car is about one and 10. And I’m probably being optimistic.

I'm sure you're right. Most Stutz automobiles that would use that engine probably already have a good engine. If they are going to be restored, they probably already have been. Fewer and fewer people are driving cars of that era. Sad.

Where is it located? I could use it if it were close by. The cost to ship it will be more than it is worth plus the good parts are gone (intake & exhaust manifolds, carb, dist, starter, gen etc) what is left is the heavy and takes up space to store.

6 hours ago, kbeach said:

Where is it located? I could use it if it were close by. The cost to ship it will be more than it is worth plus the good parts are gone (intake & exhaust manifolds, carb, dist, starter, gen etc) what is left is the heavy and takes up space to store.

I thought you had the eight cylinder?

23 hours ago, Dtaber said:

This motor was never listed on here for sale and was thinking asking 500 thanks guys

Very fair and reasonable........with luck it makes it to someone who wants a spare........

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have had several boat anchor engines over the years (Flathead ford, 1924 Buick, 1923 Chevrolet, etc...). I have cleaned them up and made stands for them. I would then paint the engine and make it presentable as a display. They make a great conversation piece. The funny thing is I have sold them to people visiting our collection.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

image.png.180a5ab736512e04a9321f4d2129e09a.pngThis is a 1928 Stutz, model M, 7 passengers Touring Car, belongs to the State of Rio Grande do Sul, in Brazil. It is used by the governors in some cerimonial occasions and parades.

Unfortunately it doesn’t have the original engine. It is currently using a 1946 Chevrolet engine. The car was restored in 1990, along with a 1919 Ford model T, also owned by the State. The restoration was funded by the Ford dealers in that state.
I hope some day this Stutz finds an original 8 cyl engine !

I know where there is a good running take out engine for the Stutz………..

• Like 1