40 pontiac deluxe 6 sedan oil filler

macleay

Pretty sure it pulls right up. Give it a twist from side to side. Make sure you clean the element in paint thinner or kerosene then fill it full of engine oil, turn over and let drip dry. install it with the "slot opening" facing the engine fan. Also, on the other side of the engine the road draft tube "might" have a filter on it and clean/oil that in the same fashion as well. Do this every oil change!

This car doesn't happen to be a special six and black? was on BAT?

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

It twists. 1/4 turn to remove. It looks about like a gas cap on the underside, with a similar retention mechanism.

It should look like one of these (39 pictured, but these 2 types were the same for many years). Second pic is an optional deluxe breather. Cap is the same for both I believe. I wouldn't expect it to be that tough, but If it is really stubborn, you might want to take the filler tube off of the engine and go after it on the bench with a couple of strap wrenches or something. Horsing around on the tube while it is still on the engine could easily damage it. If you take it off you'll see why. It probably needs washing out anyway. I don't know what the skinny version filler tube has in it for a breather filter, but there is probably something. The fat one is full of mesh like a breather cap and definitely needs washing out. Look for a set screw with a locknut at the bottom of the tube. Remove it and the tube pulls out of the block. The downside is If you take it out, you'll need to replace the seal at the bottom. Often a hardware store O ring can be made to work if you can find one that fits tightly, but it's a little fiddly to put in. Maybe put it in the block first, and use silicone spray to work the tube in. Otherwise maybe a gasket company like Olson's might have one individually, or maybe you could find some cork about 3/16" thick and cut a ring like the original one from it.

image.jpeg.e7d9fa53406b6db71310ca52a368f

Pontiac15.jpg?tr=w-500

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, macleay said:

Thanks Bloo.

I'm probably going to be on here with newbie questions for awhile, so I hope I don't become an annoyance.

Definitely NOT an annoyance. But we all love pictures to keep us interested, especially us visual people. Love to see pictures of the car and engine and interior and …..

Just my take on things

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bloo said:

If it's like Pfeil's pics, then yeah, it just pulls off. Maybe you can twist to get it moving.

I'd rather be safe. I would contact the tech advisor for this model car from the POCI Early Times chapter. POCI's monthly newsletter has the names and phone numbers of each model years tech advisor. Seems trivial but I would rather not mess up.

James Patterson 315-652-5794

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

If those pics are of your 40 Pontiac, you have a car in wonderful condition.  40 Pontiacs are rare, as I've never seen one in 40 plus years in the hobby.  This one looks so good, I hope you don't decide dump the drive train and put in a modern V-8.  I like old cars to show us the way we were.  Hey, did I just think of a great song title or what?  

• Like 1

I remember seeing a 1935 Pontiac coupe in excellent original condition back around 1980 at a car swap meet in San Diego.  I think the price was around 5K which was considered pretty high for an old car at the time.  It was then and now a pretty rare car to see in person, just like this 1940.  

pontiac 1935 701b eight.jpg

• Like 2