1928 4 door sedan

DavidWhite

I am new to Buicks, but I have a collection of many other cars. I recently acquired a 1928 four-door sedan. I am doing the research and parts inventory at this point. I know I need seat springs and any information regarding the wood. I also need an engine crank.  Where is the best place to look for parts for a rebuild?  Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, David.

IMG_1363.jpeg

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, DavidWhite said:

I am new to Buicks, but I have a collection of many other cars. I recently acquired a 1928 four-door sedan. I am doing the research and parts inventory at this point. I know I need seat springs and any information regarding the wood. I also need an engine crank.  Where is the best place to look for parts for a rebuild?  Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, David.

IMG_1363.jpeg

Did you look under the front seat cushion for the crank?

David, I concur that you should move this thread over to Buick section prewar.  A lot of helpful Buick guys there  and they may not look here in general discussion.  I have a 1928 master.  If you don’t know if you have a master you can measure wheelbase , standard model is 115” master can be 120” or 128”.  Also you can look at the engine, if it has a water manifold with ports going in the top of the head it is a master.  My car is a master 54C country club coupe

IMG_0938.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DavidWhite said:

IMG_1363.jpeg

Is that a 4 door Sedan? Or a 2 door Sedan? If it is the 2 door Sedan I have both front seats and the bottom rear seat from a 27/28, just don't have the back of the rear seat. 

20231028_140624.jpg

20231028_140630.jpg

20231028_140733.jpg

The black and orange car appears to be a 28-20 two door sedan which is the smaller Standard series.   Parts interchange between Standard and the larger Master series is limited to a handful of parts such as hood latches, distributer and not a lot else.  Buick also made a lot of year to year changes in the mid 20's which further complicates finding the correct parts.  I find the Buick Master Parts list to be very helpful for figuring out parts usage and recommend getting a copy.  The seats the 29StudiePres has pictured above looks right to me. 

https://www.amazon.com/1916-1932-Buick-Master-Reprint-All-Models/dp/B007W69SDA

1916-1932 Master parts book.jpg

2 hours ago, ramair said:

David, I concur that you should move this thread over to Buick section prewar.  A lot of helpful Buick guys there  and they may not look here in general discussion.  I have a 1928 master.  If you don’t know if you have a master you can measure wheelbase , standard model is 115” master can be 120” or 128”.  Also you can look at the engine, if it has a water manifold with ports going in the top of the head it is a master.  My car is a master 54C country club coupe

IMG_0938.jpeg

Very nice 

14 minutes ago, Oregon Desert model 45 said:

The black and orange car appears to be a 28-20 two door sedan which is the smaller Standard series.   Parts interchange between Standard and the larger Master series is limited to a handful of parts such as hood latches, distributer and not a lot else.  Buick also made a lot of year to year changes in the mid 20's which further complicates finding the correct parts.  I find the Buick Master Parts list to be very helpful for figuring out parts usage and recommend getting a copy.  The seats the 29StudiePres has pictured above looks right to me. 

Great thank you, 

15 minutes ago, Oregon Desert model 45 said:

I ordered the book 

16 hours ago, 29StudiePrez said:

Is that a 4 door Sedan? Or a 2 door Sedan? If it is the 2 door Sedan I have both front seats and the bottom rear seat from a 27/28, just don't have the back of the rear seat. 

20231028_140624.jpg

20231028_140630.jpg

20231028_140733.jpg

She is a 2 door, what are you looking for, for the seats?

On 10/28/2023 at 4:00 PM, keiser31 said:

This book would probably be a good one to obtain for the wood work....

Picture 27245.jpg

Picture 27246.jpg

Picture 27247.jpg

Picture 27248.jpg

Wow!

Is that an original body manual? I bought a reprint decades ago and all the illustrations are so dark you can barely tell what you're looking at.

1 hour ago, Erndog said:

Wow!

Is that an original body manual? I bought a reprint decades ago and all the illustrations are so dark you can barely tell what you're looking at.

A reprint I got back in about 1970-71. I think they still print them.

David, you posted a picture of a nice 1928 Buick Standard Model 28-20 in what is likely Atlantic Green. The closest known color match is 1961 Opel Atlantic Green, Ditzler paint number 43517. The '28 began 8/1/27 to make the US state fairs and ended 7/31/28 with Fisher body style 7580, of which 32,542 units were built and put upon chassis numbers 1888925 to 2123925. I am also new to Buick (of any year) and we appear to have the same car, assuming it is not a four door as was said earlier in this thread. I look forward to seeing your progress and hope to be helpful if possible. If you have not already done so, search for posts by the user "Hubert" as he is your best resource for stuff you will not find in the shop manual. I assume you have manuals but if not go to Rock Auto and get the 1927 and the 1928 supplement, both for $29.79 

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/buick,1928,series+115,l6,952245,literature,repair+manual,10335

I have an original Fisher Body Service Manual but it does not have the left black binding as shown in the eBay picture. AFIK all the wood in my '28 was restored in oak. Most important are high quality photos and illustrations, but with modern photocopy machines that may not be an issue with a reprint.

20230716_162306.jpg

Edited by 28Buick (see edit history)
  • Like 3