Found an Old AACA Badge/Plaque?

BobinVirginia

• BobinVirginia changed the title to Found an Old AACA Badge/Plaque?

AACA members' display badge available from national in 1960s for sure, don't know when it became available or how long it was offered.  Think I have one in a display case.

P.S.:  the hole above "Duryea" is not, uh, authentic.....  🙂

• Thanks 1

@Grimy

Thank you for answering! Being a younger guy, when I find things made of real materials, I get excited!! I actually messaged @Steve Moskowitz

Earlier and he educated me!!! 
How awesome is this forum to have such knowledgeable people at a message away? 

Thank you both very much for being such generous wealths of knowledge!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/26/2023 at 8:16 PM, BobinVirginia said:

I believe this is old! Found in a box within my 21 Haynes. Heavy bronze? Dimensions are 5”x3-3/4” showing the Duryea car and Founded Nov 1935 scripts. What do I have? 

C122EB60-EDA5-44D8-A457-444EFF1D1BD9.jpeg

I think what you have is before the 1960's. In fact, I think what you have may date back to soon after the AACA was founded in 1935. Notice the "U"s on the emblem are "V"s. and the general detail is not sharp. I have attached an AACA emblem I purchased in the late 1960's. I would suggest contacting the AACA for their help.IMG_2067.JPG.1b4c888a20dc6b030116b5276151391a.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, West Peterson said:

Hook is correct. The badges with "V"s are the first batch to have been made, and are very early.

Thanks West. From the number of spokes, the carriage top and the "V"s it looks very primitive. Also, something worth keeping and mounting on that very special car!!

Bill

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, West Peterson said:

Hook is correct. The badges with "V"s are the first batch to have been made, and are very early.

the older ones have 12 spoke wheels

the newer ones have 16 spoke wheels

I have the newer one which was on my 1931 lasalle when I bought it

• Thanks 1

The last time the old emblem was used on the Antique Automobile magazine was 1951, Vol 15, No. 2. From then on the new emblem was used. This was printed in Antique Automobile 1951, Vol 15, No. 3.

"Improved AACA Emblems

The changes made in the AACA emblem have made it authentic and more attractive. Many favorable comments have been received. These changes first appeared in the beautiful new AACA decals designed by Photographic Editor Don McCray. The styling of the letter U has been improved and no longer looks like a V. The Duryea Chicago Race Winner of 1895 now has the correct pneumatic tires on wheels of the right relative size and with the original number of spokes. Every effort has been made to reproduce the original photograph of this famous car. The new and smaller 41^" bronze car emblem ($2.50 postpaid) and the cloth emblem ($ 1 .0 0 ), also of the improved design, are now being shipped on all orders."

A little touch of history.

The first time the LOGO appeared in Antique Automobile was 1939 Vol 3, No. 2. Antique Automobile was at that time a mimeographed produced publication I believe. 

Edited by hook
left out (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 31 LaSalle said:

Did the badges have different town names other than duryea on the examples shown and also on mine

Duryea is the name of the builder of the first car in America and the name of the Automobile on the emblem. It was not a town name.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

The American Automobile Association Triple-A badge had something to do with how long you'd been a member of the group. Yeah, it's the same Triple-A that does roadside service, rates hotels/restaurants, and prepares "Trip-Tik" route planning services.

Triple-A is not what it was in its heyday. Last time I tried to use it I was informed that my membership tier would only cover a 5 mile tow- when I had paid for a higher tier membership that was supposed to cover up to 100 mile tow. It got ugly. 

Since my regular car insurance covers towing and roadside service better than the AAA plan I had, I cut ties. Then two years later I get an offer to reinstate my AAA membership. No, thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1